Chapter 77: A Family Affair

 Kinervale Heights, The Elder Kennison Estate, Grandview Ave, Baltiney, New York...

     The midnight blue sports car of Ken Ryker pulled into a very long driveway leading to a massive structure in the form of a three-tier mansion, there had been a main house, and two smaller houses connected with three floors for each level a good deal of greenery and a large water fountain in the center of the driveway that rounded up toward the main portion of the house. Ken rolled his eyes as he noted the place but Dean had been in awe of it. Never in his young life had he expected to be anywhere near such a magnificent piece of property, let alone be invited to have dinner inside. It had not been lost on the lad that this house, which had been the home of Ken's parents and younger brother had been much larger than his own but knowing Ken as he did, Dean figured it was by design considering his disdain for the house upon their arrival.

Ken himself had never grown up in this place, his parents had been average people before he'd gone into business with his father and struck it rich with their fledgling company at the time. Of course, no one ever recalled that aspect of the man's life due to how successful he'd been after the fact. His mother had been pulling all the stops with the servants working overtime and the gardeners making the place look presentable. If he had any doubts as to her being up to something he had been more than sure of it now.

Ken and Dean got out of the car as the older man tossed the keys to a valet and moved toward the front door. It was enormous and made of impressive dark oak wood. Ken had noted Dean's observations of his parent's estate and rolled his eyes. They had not even needed to knock before a servant opened the front door and they stepped inside. Ken appeared to have been familiar with the seemingly professional-looking old man, a butler by the name of Javis.

"Mr. Kennison, what a surprise," he said with something of a smile as he greeted Ken.

"It's just you and me Jav, no need for the formalities old man, it's good to see you," said Ken evenly. "I'd like you to meet my new personal assistant, Dean, Dean this old man used to take care of Bobby when he was a baby."

Dean nodded in Javis' direction as he ushered them inside the main house.

The moment they stepped into the entrance hall, Ken knew all too well that his mother was up to something. She's even decorated the entrance hall and the stairs for the occasion, there was no way that this had simply been dinner.

Ken escorted Dean further into the house and found his mother and Coleman waiting for him along with Malcolm, his wife, and boys, Eveyln Towers, Jeff, Bobby, and of all people Valencia Ramos.

Had he not taken his medication, Ken would have allowed his rage to get the better of him at that moment as he had a feeling they'd been plotting against him. Valencia being among them only made things worse, but he kept his composure and simply stepped inside the room and helped himself to the punch bowl as Dean trailed behind him.

"Ryker darling, nice of you to show up on time no less," said Mildred eyeing her son and the new arrival with keen inspection.

Ken simply enjoyed his punch and said little to nothing as he moved to allow Dean to help himself before venturing to his usual armchair in the sitting room. The rather nervous blond lad trailed behind him and stood beside the chair before Ken motioned for him to take the seat a few feet from him.

Mildred Kennison had been like a shark looking for blood in the water and she noted the rather odd measure of closeness that Ken seemed to exhibit with the younger lad. He had been clean enough and dressed more or less reasonably but she wondered just what her son had found so fascinating about him.