Chapter 89: The Inquiry Of A Mind

Apartment 274, Terrow Heights Apartment Complex, Baltiney, New York...

        Valencia Ramos had not expected to see Ken Ryker standing out her front door at the turn of the afternoon. She'd prepared her lunch and been on the verge of going to sit down to watch her favorite television show when the knocking got her attention. She shuffled over to the door unsure what the afternoon would bring and found herself surprised to see her future husband standing on the other side and relatively sober to boot. She did not know what to think as she opened the door meeting his rather inquisitive dark eyes and stepped aside to allow him to enter. Ken, who had been dressed in a gray suit this time around nodded in gratitude for her to let him enter her apartment and that she seemed to be intrigued by why he'd shown up. He couldn't deny the state of awkwardness that came with his being sober and seeing her for the first time since the dinner at his parents' house.

They had been officially engaged, much to the older man's chagrin but engaged nonetheless. Ken stood towering above Valencia as much as always and she'd nearly forgotten how much when he had not been leaning and stumbling when he'd been in her presence.

"I'm surprised to see you here," Valencia admitted as she closed the door behind her. "Even more surprised to see you sober and not yelling at me for one thing or another."

Ken had not known truly what to say given what Jeff had implied about them during the dinner with his parents.

"H-How's the baby?" he asked unsure if he had the right to even ask after wanting nothing to do with them for so long.

"Fine, growing bigger and stronger every day," replied Valencia with something of a fond smile.

"T-That's good to hear at least," replied Ken still unsure what to make of the situation they currently found themselves in.

"Would you like something to drink?" asked Valencia recalling how to be hospitable in the spur of the moment. "I've got water, juice, and soda."

"You sure you need to be drinking soda given your condition?" asked Ken with an arched brow. Even he had known that soda couldn't be good for a developing baby.

"Relax, I haven't touched one in weeks, been too busy with the juice and water," replied Valencia with a smirk as she ventured to the kitchen and grabbed a can of soda out for Ken. "You can drink it if it makes you feel any better about me not having it."

She brought the soda to Ken who took it and popped the top with ease. Ken sighed as he made his way over to her sofa and plopped down. She followed after him sensing that he'd been willing to talk but about what she had no idea. He took a sip from the can and stared across the room at her television set. Valencia had known all too well that Ken had trouble with communication and smiled noting how some things never seemed to change between them.

She slowly scooted closer to him on the sofa and he simply sipped his soda as if he had not a care in the world what she did. She could tell that he'd been confused and relatively upset but also nervous much like when he first awoke in the hospital and she'd been the only one around to see it.

"Tell me what's wrong," she said softly.

Ken simply sipped his soda and stared at the blank television.

Valencia sighed as she placed a hand on the closest of his arms.

"Your new friend seems nice," she said breaking the silence that had fallen between them. "Dean wasn't it?"

Ken looked at her for the first time since he arrived recalling that she'd met Dean briefly when he'd been at the dinner.

"Yeah," replied Ken in a gruff tone.