Chapter 49: The Rattling Of Nerves

Open Road, Baltiney, New York...

      The wind being in Dean's hair had been nice to appreciate as he sat in the passenger seat of Ken's rather expensive sports car. He had liked the midnight blue color but had wondered why Ken had originally picked him up in the sedan when they first met. At the time Dean had not paid it any attention but he had found himself growing more and more curious as a result of it. Ken had his eyes on the road and seemed to be focused on his driving despite his choice of songs blaring on the radio. Dean sighed as he turned his attention to looking out his side of the car noting the numerous passing trees and the vastness of the highway as they made good time with a good deal of speed.

He had been truthfully nervous about Ken's plans for dinner and wanted so badly to make a good impression but had known next to nothing about Ken personally let alone anything about the people that the older man wanted him to meet. It was strange that Ken wanted him to meet people at all.

"What's on your mind?" asked Ken making it clear that he'd been observing Dean as he drove.

"Just thinking," replied Dean casually.

"Well I can see that," replied Ken once more focused on the road. "What are you thinking about, you look a little nervous, we're just doing a little shopping and I've got to make a stop after that no need to be tense about it."

"Well, it's not the shopping, well not so much the shopping that makes me tense...I just don't know about this dinner you want me to go to," admitted Dean. "I just don't want to say or do the wrong thing and cause you any problems."

Ken slowed down the car and parked them on the side of the road. Dean had not expected him to stop when they had errands to run.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"If we're gonna talk you are gonna get my undivided attention," said Ken as he put on the brakes and took the keys out of the ignition.

Dean did not know what to say, no one had ever actually cared about anything he had to say before, and here was Ken giving him his full attention. The older man seemed to be focused on him as he clicked out of his seat belt and turned to face him.

"Alright, what do you want to know?" asked Ken evenly.

Dean sighed as he worked up the courage to speak freely now that he had Ken's attention.

"I don't even know you all that well, or the people you want me to meet," he said still concerned.

Ken smirked as he reached over and took Dean's trembling hand into his.

"What's the matter Joyboy worried you'll have to explain us being fuckbuddies?" he asked seemingly amused.

"Well yeah," replied Dean unsure how to deal with Ken's horrid sense of humor at a time like this.

"Well to answer your first question, we are going to have dinner at my parents' house, my mother is orchestrating the whole ordeal which isn't ideal for me in the least, she'll no doubt invite my little brother Bobby, the spawn of my father Roy, Malcolm and other concerned parties," Ken explained. "I need you there, kid because I need to know that someone in attendance is gonna be on my side, I don't trust this up-and-coming dinner but I am interested in getting reinstated in my company, which had been the offer on the table if I attend...I gave the stipulation about bringing a friend along so you are expected."

Dean sighed.

It seemed that there was an awful lot of pressure on Ken and he could see why he needed his help in more ways than one.