Chapter 53: Papercut Bliss

First Street Cafe, First Street, Baltiney, New York...

     The sun had been bright and the air cool as a lone Valencia Ramos made her way toward her favorite cafe with plans to make a day of spending time by herself. She had managed to get the seat she favored out on the terrace amid the sun and shade alike. It had been a cool breeze in the area that suited her just fine. She had not been alone as she sat trying her best to keep her intrusive thoughts at bay as she caught sight of her mother, Sylvia Ramos as she approached the table. She'd been dressed quite decent, pretty in a pink suit, as with her long dark hair put up in a bun, she'd been an aged reflection of the beautiful young Valencia and a glimpse of what she had to look forward to in the future.

Sylvia Ramos was a beautiful older woman, happily married and the mother of four children. Her Valencia had at one point been her only daughter until their youngest Sophia had been born following the tragedy that had been the crashing of Flight 126. Sylvia had been grateful to Ryker Kennison like most who had known of him and his heroics when it came to the rescue of the downed passengers and the subsequent lawsuit he led against the airline as well as the granting the families affected his share of the money.

She had been well aware of her eldest daughter's infatuation with the tragically heroic businessman but she had thought nothing of it until her daughter had come of age. She had her fair share of concerns about Valencia and her continued association with the likes of Ryker Kennison, given the rumors about Ryker post his car accident and how tragedy seemed to always follow him around.

Valencia had made it a point to remind everyone that she wouldn't have been alive in the first place if Ryker had not ignored the advice of the rescue team and dug her out of the plane himself at risk of his own life. Sylvia remained grateful for the man's boldness but didn't see why her daughter had such a strange devotion to him.

"It seems to be quite the beautiful day to have lunch," said Sylvia making conversation despite not hearing from her daughter in a little over a month before their lunch date. She had heard rumors that her smitten and impressionable young daughter and Mr. Kennison had been carrying on an illicit affair but wanted so badly for them to be denied.

"It is indeed." agreed Valencia as she noted the pleasantness of their surroundings. "As good a time for any to have lunch outside."

Sylvia looked over her daughter, she'd been quite different since the last time she'd seen her, no more the image of the emotional little girl that had grown attached to a man far older than her when it came to Ryker Kennison. She still recalled the day they heard of the terrible accident he'd been in, it was as if someone had ripped Valencia's heart from her very chest.

The young woman seemed to have been doing quite well for herself with her freshly done nails, and pricy attire, she had known all too well that her daughter had long ago quit her job at the local diner. Still, there had been an earthy glow about her as she sat looking over the menu selection.

Sylvia had not wished to believe what her intuition had been alluding to but there was no denying it, her daughter had the look of a pregnant woman about her and there was no doubt in her mind that she'd known exactly who the father of her unborn grandchild had been.

"Valencia...it can't be." said the older woman unable to hold back the tears that began to cloud the wells of her dark brown eyes.

Valencia had hoped to get through lunch before having to announce her pregnancy but her mother had been far too clever and astute to put it off any longer.

"I wanted to surprise you with lunch first, but it seems you've already figured it out," she said rather nervously. "Mama please don't be upset I...I wanted this more than anything and you'll see it worked out for the best."

Sylvia had been at a loss for words as she did her best to keep her composure given her daughter's delicate condition and apparent fear of rejection from her.

"What will your father and brothers think?" she asked finally still horrified about the implications of her daughter being pregnant out of wedlock.

"Mama they don't have to know not yet...Ryker and I have got an arrangement and I don't need them getting in the way of it," said Valencia trying to ease the blow of the news with her speculation as to what would have been her mother's most pressing concern about her relationship with the unseemly businessman.

"An arrangement isn't marriage now is it Valencia?" asked Sylvia not at all hiding her disappointment in her daughter's choice to be the mistress of a Ryker Kennison despite their history.

"We're working on that Mama, you'll be the first to know when we've set a date," said Valencia hopeful.

"What is it about this man that's got you so enamored with him, from what I hear he's been no good since the accident and yet here you are clinging to him and carrying his unborn child," said Sylvia visibly upset. "No good can come of this child not for you, not for him, and certainly not for this baby."

Valencia sighed realizing that no one would truly understand why she loved Ryker so much, it had always been people like her mother against her being with the man she loved, and it only served to make her more determined to prove them wrong.

"I love him," said Valencia determined despite her mother's disapproval to live her life as she saw fit.

"But does he love you?" asked Sylvia with an arched brow. "Or is this pregnancy the thing you hope to bring about the outcome you so selfishly wanted?"

Valencia sighed once more as she turned her attention to her menu to keep from issuing disrespect toward her mother in reaction to her disapproval of the man she loved.

"When we set a date you'll be the first to know," she said changing the subject.

Sylvia sighed and shook her head as she took up her menu as well. While she did not have much of an appetite, she had not wanted to waste the last opportunity to spend some time with her oldest daughter before whatever she had in store blew up in her face as it often had when she schemed for things well beyond her reach, Rykder Kennison's affections being among them.