4

Edited March 14, 2016
Re-edited April 17, 2018

Emily POV.

After breakfast, we returned to Niall's flat and watched TV until I had to get my stuff ready for my band class. "I planned on walking there. You need to sleep." I say before walking over to my flat. I quickly locate where I had laid out my instruments and gathered them up, happy that my biggest instrument was my sax.

"Damn. How many instruments do ya play?" Niall asks as I set the cases down next to the wall.

"Flute, piccolo, saxophone, piano, and drums."

Niall's eyebrows go up. "It's nine thirty. Are you sure you don't want me to drive you? It's a bit cold."

I stand there for a second, shifting my weight from one foot to the other. I finally give in. "If you don't mind."

Niall shakes his head and grabs his keys. "No, I don't." And he picks up my saxophone case and leaves the building with me following behind.

--

"Meet me here at 11, okay?" Niall says, pulling up in front of the school.

I check to see if I remembered my papers. When I found them, I turned to Niall. "Yeah! Thanks for the ride, again." I give Niall a quick hug and rush up the stairs to the front doors.

I find the front office and set my instruments down on the floor. "Hi! How can I help you?" A lady walks up to me. Her name tag read Ms. Jackson.

"Hi! I'm new here. Well, only for band." I hand her my papers and she looks at them.

"Hello, Emily! The bell is about to ring so I'll take you to Mr. Johnson now. He's the band teacher. You'll love him." I grab my instrument cases and follow Ms. Jackson down a long hallway. "In here." Ms. Jackson guides me into a room filled with stands and chairs.

A man walks up to us and shakes my hand. "Hello! I'm Mr. Johnson but call me Mr. J if you want to. You can stand along the wall and when everyone is here, we will find you a seat." I find a spot along the wall and wait.

A loud, annoying bell rings and the school is filled with lockers slamming, kids shouting, and what ever you else you hear in the hallways between classes. About thirty kids file in the band room, all sneaking looks as they get their instruments.

It was a decent sized class. Five trumpets, three trombones, five saxophones, four flutes, five clarinets, three French horns, a tuba, two bassoon players, and five percussionist.

"Hello, class. Today we have a new student. Do you wanna introduce yourself?" Mr. J

I nod. "I'm Emily. I'm from America. I'm 17 and I like making music."

"All righty, what do you play?" Mr. J asks.

"Flute, piccolo, saxophone, piano, and drums." Everyone just stares at me with confusion.

"Are you some prodigy or something like that?" A kid asked.

I simply shrug my shoulders.

Mr. J doesn't know where to sit me. "What do you play the most?"

"Saxophone and Flute." He just looks at me. "Flute." Mr. J has me play a couple scales and some sight reading so he can place me in the correct chair.

The class goes by rather quickly and I'm soon gathering my cases to bring them home with me. I'd rather not put them in the locker Mr. J gave me, because I know band kids. If their instruments in their band locker, it's not going home. Everyone is crowded by the door. The bell doesn't ring for another ten minutes.

A couple boys come up to me. "Hi. I'm Zeke." He holds out his hand and I shake it.

"I'm Antonio. Nice playing. No one has ever beat Kelly at first chair. So, what class do you go to next?"

"I'm homeschooled."

Zeke looks kinda down but shrugs it off. "So, see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah. I guess." Things are defiantly awkward.

The bell rings and I make my way to the front door. Seeing Niall's car waiting, I rush through the snow that began to fall. "How was it?"

"It was fun. What did you do?"

Niall pulls into the lunch rush traffic. "I went back and showered and took a nap. Now, where do ya wanna go for lunch?"

--

This literally took all fucking day t write.

- Emily

🙊🙊🙊🙊🙊🙊🙊🙊🙊