56

This is officially the longest fanfiction I've ever written.

Warning, you may need tissues.

Edited May 21, 2016

Emily pov.

Today was the funeral for Dad. It was a small funeral, not wanting to make a big production. Maura was there and so was Niall. The lads didn't really know my Dad but they tagged along for support.

And of course mom was there but I didn't really pay any attention to her. And she didn't pay any attention to me.

"I'm sorry about your loss." Harry pulled me on for hug. He knows what I'm going through with him just losing his grandma a few days ago.

"I shouldn't have left. I shouldn't have left while he was gone."

"Sh. Sh."

We embraced each other until it was time for speeches.

I was first. I grabbed the paper and walked up to the podium next to where my dad laid. "Thank you for everyone coming." Everyone nodded.

I took a shaky breath and began.

"My dad was a wonderful man. He was always there for me when I needed him. As a child, we would go on these daddy daughter dates and we'd do fun things like go to a drive in movie or around looking for treasure with the geomap thing. As I grew up, we drifted apart and I would find myself wondering what went gone and why weren't we as close and why weren't we as close anymore? In middle school, I went to hell and back. Having been in rehab a couple times and dealing with bullies. I guess I kinda drew back and watched as the world passed by my eyes. We were close, but not as close as we were before. My dad and I always did fun stuff together. Like build stuff in the workshop in the garage. Or watch The Simpsons, laughing at the stupid intro."

A single tear fell onto the page.

"I remember when he introduced me to Monty Python and we laughed so hard, we woke Jane up. And the Three Stooges. I remember on long car rides or short car rides or what ever, my dad and I would listen to the Los Lobos. We would listen to Bob Marley, No Women, No Cry." I took a deep, shaky, breath. "In highschool, it was a little better. We never did much together except watch The Simpsons on Hulu every so often. My dad was too busy with work or making pens and stuff in the workshop."

I continued my speech.

"I said to Niall the other day while at the beach. 'Do you think that people you have lossy are up there, on the clouds watching over you?' And he responded. 'I never thought about it that way but if they do, I bet your dad is watching over you right now, smiling down at you and what you've become. He was lucky to have such a great girl for a daughter.' Now every time I look up at the clouds, I imagine my dad standing there, giving me a thumbs up even though I'll never be able to see it but I can feel in my heart that he's proud of me."

I pick up a single rose from the small bouquet in front of me.

"You'll always be with me, dad. No matter where I go, you'll be in the clouds above me, watching over me like you've done the past seventeen years."

I laid the single rose on dad and just stood there. Niall came up and placed a screw driver in the casket. I looked up at him, confused. I could tell he was crying because his eyes were red. He let out a shaky laugh. "You never know, he might need it."

I let all my emotions go and just stood there as I cried into Niall.

He stood there, letting me cry. Letting everything go. Along with the rose and screw driver, there were other things. There was a DVD of The Simpsons, a DVD of Monty Python and a photo of dad and I when we were at the drive in movie all those years ago.

I let go of Niall and dug through my clutch, pulling out an envelope. They said it was for me from my dad.

I walked over to a private area and read:

'Dear My Dearest Emily,

If you're reading this, then I must have succeeded. These seventeen years of my life were amazing and I wish I could go back in time and do them all over again and fix the rough patches we've been through. I don't want to make this a long sappy note because I know you're already crying. In this envelope, is the key to the garage back home here in L.A. I want you to know that if you ever need to talk to me, don't go to the cemetery. Go to the garage.

I'll be waiting for you.

Love,

Dad'

I open the envelope again and there it is. The key to the garage. I smile down at it, knowing I have my own personal area where I connect with my dad.

"Hey, are you ready?" Niall asks, startling me. I shove the key down my dress and into my bra.

I sniff and nod. "Yeah."

We stayed while the cemetery workers lowered my dad into the ground and started piling dirt into the hole.

Niall wrapped his arms around me so I wouldn't collapse into tears. Jane left after my speech, not being able to handle it anymore. Niall guided me to the car and we headed back to the flat.

"Go take a nap. I'll fix you something to eat." Niall said as he laid me down onto the bed.

I nodded, pulling the blankets over my head and shutting my eyes.

-----

I cried like a trillion times. How the hell did the author of 99 Days Without You write that?!

Tell me your secrets!!

- e.h.