19

Edited May 15, 2016

Re-Edited July 19, 2018

Niall POV.

We got our sandwiches and sat in a booth away from the window and ate. We talked about music and what we've been up to since Emily returned home. After finishing our sandwiches, we walked over to the highschool. "Wow. That's a lot of people." I comment when we turn the corner to the practice field. There were about a hundred and twenty or so kids practicing, sitting around, reading, talking, etc.

"Just keep walking and ignore everyone." Emily mumbles to me as she guides me into the school. There were about ten more kids just lounging around in the school, sleeping or playing elementary school games like tag. There were a few kids practising in the band room when we walked in.

"Emily." A boy with curly black hair says sourly.

"Chris." She returns.

We continue walking till we reach a little room that was overtaken by chairs. Emily pulled out her stuff to practice. "You might not want to sit to the right of me." I take her advice and move in front of her. She plays a couple notes to warm up and I'm glad she told me. Piccolos are loud.

"So, who was that?"

Emily frowns and sits down in the table. "Chris. We used to be friends but when I returned he thought that now that I'm "popular", I put air quotations around the word popular, "I wouldn't want to hang around with him or any of my other friends. The only really friend I have is Valerie. She's not in band but I'm guessing you'll be meeting her sooner or later."

Emily runs through her music a couple times without making a mistake. Looking at her phone, she gathers her stuff. "It's time to head out there. You can come with or stay in the band room or roam around. There's not much you can do with me while I'm practising. Breaks are rare and quick when we get them. Grab sunscreen if you're going outside."

Nodding, I grab the sunscreen from her bag and follow her out. I lather it on my face and arms as we walk out and I sit high up on the bleachers to lather it on my legs and for the great view of the city in the background and of the band. About a hundred and fifty total kids were sprawled across the football field, stretching, some were running over from the parking lot, having just arrived. I watch Emily join her section.

As I watched the stretch, I scrolled through twitter.

@niallofficial: @itsjustem great show so far.

Uploading it to both twitter and Instagram with a photo of them stretching, I noticed everyone started grabbing instruments or a flag and began getting into this really large block. I guess they're starting now.

-

Wow, for only starting the season a couple weeks ago, they had all their music memorised and I guess they were learning formation, or drill as Emily called it. After receiving new spots, they played it with music after doing it over and over and adjusting the tiniest things. Now I know why Emily says this is so hard to do. They have to count the beat, play music, count steps, remember how big or small of a step, etc. It's hard work. They probably work harder than any other sport I can think of.

And people are constantly yelling at them, which brings on even more stress to do perfect.

Suddenly they stopped. I leaned to get a closer look and saw Emily sitting on the ground. I ran out to her. Or tried. The band kids formed a huge circle around her. I'm guessing the band director is next to her. "What happened?"

Towering over the kids, I had a clear view. "I don't know. All I know is that I took a step, fell, and heard a snap."

"Back away guys! Someone call and ambulance. Jarvis, get her mom on the phone!"

The kids dispersed, running inside to the air conditioning. "Niall. Carry me?" Emily holds her arms to me. Smirking, I scoop her up and carry her to the bleachers.

A few moments later, an ambulance and I'm guessing her mum shows up. The emergency tech people placed her on a gurney and I got a lift from her mum to the hospital.

-

No ones been that injured during marching band but I wanted to add drama. And drama you shall get!

- Emily

😰😰😰😰😰😰😰😰