7

Edited May 14, 2016
Re-edited April 18, 2017

Niall POV.

I woke up the next morning to find my arms wrapped around Emily. I reached over to the night stand and grabbed my phone, checking the time. Eight in the morning. I was about to set my phone down till a text popped up.

'The two of you need to go shopping and lunch after Emily gets out of band class. Then tweet a photo of you two, make it funny. The tutor should be there about five.' It was from Sandra in a group chat that included the three of us.

I manage to untangle myself from Emily without waking her up. I pad to the kitchen and search the fridge for food. Finding eggs and sausage and biscuits in there, I decide to make that. Heating the oven, I start making some tea. Hot chocolate for Emily, who preferred a sweeter drink on cold mornings.

"Niall?" I hear Emily call.

"Kitchen!" I smile at her voice. Her morning voice is so cute. Emily appears in the doorway to the kitchen, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. A sweatshirt that I had I borrowed to her after she took a quick shower after returning from our pizza place, was so big, it came down to her mid thigh. The sleeves were too long as well, falling a couple inches past her hands. Mismatched socks kept her feet warm.

"Smells good." She comments, taking her cocoa that I had made. "Thanks." We sit in silence as I make the food, too tired to start a conversation. It was only till we sat down that I finally had the courage to tell her ask her what was on my mind.

"Emily, did you bring anything with you. Ya know. To harm yerself?"

Emily goes quiet for a minute. "No." She says into her eggs. The pause made me think she was lying.

"Ok. Well Sandra says we have to go shopping and out to lunch after you get back from class. Then the tutor arrives around five." Things were slightly awkward after my intrusive question but not too always. Emily nods and finishes her food, excusing herself from my flat to return to hers.

I take a shower and change into jeans, a sweater and a pair of beat up converse that were a few years old. Emily is knocking at the door when I came out from my bedroom so I let her in. Even with a simple outfit like jeans and an over sized sweater, she looks perfect. A beanie hides her bed head she tried to control but gave up on. "Ready?" She asks, snapping me from my thoughts.

I nod and grab the keys. The ride was silent except for the radio and small comments about the weather. "Have fun." I squeeze Emily's hand as she climbs out and she gives me a weak smile. She disappears into the school and I head back home.

Back home, I locate the key to Emily's flat Sandra gave me and I let myself in. Her flat was cleaner than mine, but that's probably because she hasn't been in it much. I was determined to find what ever Emily was using to hurt her beautiful skin.

"I have forty five minutes. C'mon, Niall!" I think where girls usually keep stuff they don't want found. "Books!" I locate all her books and went through all fifty of them. No luck. Next I tried things like her make up bag and desk and bed and kitchen drawers.

Nothing.

Ten minutes till I needed to pick her up. I search the bathroom drawers. Nothing. The only thing I haven't checked were. "Cabinets!" I open the cabinets in the bathroom and nothing was there except girl stuff and cleaners and towels. I take a deep breath.

Five minutes.

I push on the mirror to open up the cabinet and find a tooth brush, toothpaste, and hair product. I move some of her hair product and bingo.

Three decent sized razor blades sit hidden in the corner of the cabinet. Carefully, I pick them up and make sure everything is put back where I found them.

It was time for me to pick up Emily. I grab a tiny plastic bag for left over foods and place the blades in it. As I walk down to my car, I inspect the blades. One had a red tint to it, as if it was recently used. The others, a shiny new color.

"Niall!" Shit. I forgot about the paparazzi. I try to hide the bag in my fist. I bite my tongue as I feel the metal pierce my skin.

"Niall? Where's Emily?"

"Is it true she's from America?"

"Is she just a family friend or is she your secret girlfriend."

Finally making it to my car, I drive off. I open the hand with the bag in my hand and see some blood seeping through my hands. "Shit." I put the blades where Emily can't see them and stop in front of the school. Emily bounds down the sidewalk and into the car, rubbing her hands together to warm them up.

"Hi!" She seems a lot more cheerful than this morning.

"Hey! You seem a lot more cheery."

Emily smiles. "I introduced the band class to a game I used to play in band back home."

"Which is?"

"Plunger ball." **

We spent the rest of the car ride talking about aimless subjects. We became stuck in a traffic jam so I took the chance to talk to Emily. "Emily. Remember what I asked you this morning?" Emily took a sharp breath in and nodded. "Well, I wanted to let you know that I didn't believe you. I found these in your bathroom." I produce the blades.

Her face paled and her eyes watered up at the sight. "I'm sorry Niall. I just couldn't part with them. If I said yes. You would have taken them. They comforted me when no one else was there." The traffic jam started to clear up so I started driving.

I reach over and grab her hand. "It'll be ok. I'm here. I can help." I bring the back of her hand to my lips and I kiss them ever so gently, like her hand was going to shatter. I reached over and took a packet of travel sized tissues out from the glove box and handed them to Emily, who had begun to tear up.

"What did you do?" Her eyes wide as she ran her hand over the small cuts on my hands.

"Paparazzi. I was holding the bag, they startled me." Emily nods in understandment.

The ride was comfortable for the rest of the time. We went shopping and got some food at Nandos. Then after Emily went to work, I went home and surfed the internet.

Which wasn't a good idea.

--

**Plunger ball is something my band made up one day. They took a mute for a trombone (it was either a trombone mute or a trumpet mute, I'm not sure. Plunger ball was banned my senior year. And I'm talking about the black thing on the end of a toilet plunger. Just remove the stick and there's the "ball") and stood in a giant circle and they'd toss it around. You had to catch it or you're out. A lot of people would fake throw it to throw people off. It's more fun to watch than play.

Cliff hanger!!!

Finals again tomorrow. #fml

- Emily

😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐