20

Edited May 15, 2016
Re-edited June 19, 2018

Niall POV.

I paced about in the waiting room. Jane and Phil, Emily's parents sat in anxious silence. A doctor comes out and calls for us. "How is she?" Phil asks.

"She has a broken leg. I would advise her that she shouldn't march for this whole season. She slipped on the wet Astro turf from the rain earlier, her foot fell into a rather deep hole and she broke her leg. It's a pretty bad break. She also said wants Niall to go with her to get her cast. So if you want to follow me."

I was confused that she chose me over her mum or dad but I followed anyways. We stopped in fairly large room where I'm guessing they put casts on. Emily was sitting on a hospital bed. I sit next to her, careful about her leg. It looked a little swollen. "Hey, how ya doing?"

"Sorry I can't get through." Emily laughs at her Little Mix joke. "I'm good. A little upset I can't march this year. Maybe I can still help with music and stuff."

"Maybe."

A nurse returns with green gauze. "Now sit still." The nurse says and sits on the chair in front of Emily's leg. "This may hurt just a tad but I'll need to move your leg so you can't slip the cast on and off."

"I chose green because when I would feel close to you when we're apart." Emily explained, grabbing my hand.

I smile. "I would get purple to feel close to you if I needed to get a cast again."

We just sit there, watching the nurse put the cast on Emily. It took about forty five minutes before she was completely ready. "This is water proof so you can shower with it. Dr. Sven will come and explain more in just a moment." The nurse cleans up and leaves.

A moment later, the doctor comes in with an air cast. "Okay. I want you to wear this for about two months. After that, make an appointment and we will take the cast off, take another X ray and put one back on if you need it. And if we need to replace it, use the air cast for about two more weeks and come in. Then we will go from there."

"Doctor." I say when Emily is out of ear shot.

"Yes?"

"I want to pay for this. The ambulance ride, x ray. Everything."

The doctor nods. "I can have that arranged."

"Just don't tell them who payed for it."

"Got it." After receiving the billing information, I head over to Emily. "Ready?"

"Yeah. But I'm going back to practice." She seemed like she really wanted to return to practice so Jane drives us there.

"I'll be back to pick you up in an hour!" She tells us as she drives off. The whole trip to the hospital only took an hour and a half and it was only 4:37 in the afternoon!

"Everyone is probably in the gym so no one else can get hurt. Follow me." I follow Emily past the band room and down a couple hallways. I heard counting and I knew we were close by. Peering into the huge gym, we could see everyone counting and marching.

I hold the door open and Emily walks in. The band director, Devin as Emily mentioned as we walked over here, stops everything and comes over. "Are you alright?"

Emily nods. "Yeah. I have a bad break. The doctor advises that I should not march for this season. But I can help work on music and stuff. Uniforms. What ever."

Devin nods. "That can be arranged." Turning to the students, he fills them in. "Due to doctors orders, Emily will not be marching this season. But she will be here to help with music and uniforms. You are to respect her like you would a staff member. And that means you Mason. If you give her any troubles, you will march around the track three times. Keeping time and everything. Is that clear?"

"Yes, sir!" The students yell back.

We go sit down on the bleachers and watch. "So, you must be highly respected."

Emily nods. "If you play as many instruments as I do, you are highly respected."

The band goes back over and over the sets they learned, filling in Emily's places. I take a selfie of us.

@niallofficial: who said broken bones can't get in the way of marching band?

@itsjustem: bummed I have to miss marching this season. But now I have more free time to spend with this goof.

--

I've never broken a bone. But I've almost broken my nose from falling face first into rocks from the monkey bars in third grade.

Not

Fun

- Emily

😰😰😰😰😰😰