Chapter Forty-Two: Bad Lies

Weeks had passed since the small incident that took place in the shower rooms and the kiss Jake had with Lina. Even though I wasn't sure that kiss really meant nothing to him like he said countless of times. I still decided to put everything behind us and move forward. I wasn't willing to let Lina or Becca win and see me fall. Plus I knew well I didn't want to lose Jake either.

Every single day that passed by I found myself wondering about Jake. My body yearned for his touch while my lips claimed his every chance I got. We began to double date with Ashanti and his best friend Danny. He was a new transfer to our school but his friendship with Jake went years back. According to them they grew up together and had always maintained a solid friendship.

Danny and I quickly became good friends and got along really well. Ashanti drooled over him the first day they met. Danny secretly had a thing for her too. So Jake and I played Cupid and helped both of them hook up. They were the most weirdly awkward yet cute couple I had seen. Even though Ashanti was wild and super energetic, Danny handled her unique characteristic's just fine. He was gentle to her and very patient. He was the total opposite of how Ashanti was which is why they balanced each other just fine. Amy in the other hand didn't hangout with us quite much. One night so unexpectedly she confessed to me she didn't agree with my relationship with Jake. She thought I should give James another chance. I told her he had moved on and was going to be a daddy yet she refused to believe it.

She also confessed she had seen James multiple times. She had taken a trip over a weekend to her sisters home in Maple City. According to Amy he was single and was rarely seen with any other female. He lived with his mom in a two story house. He was living well. I tried to minimize the conversation that day but she kept on going. She insisted that James never forgot about me. He still felt the same way for me since the first time we met. I called bullshit on everything she told me which only pissed her off. Amy had suddenly taken James side and did not like Jake. She always avoided to give me a solid reason as to her sudden change of heart towards Jake.

Her sudden actions only raised suspicion that she was hiding something. Her friendship with Miles grew while dating his best-friend Jean. Her distance towards Ashanti and I only made us upset and also had us question her loyalty to us. Even though the sudden change of attitude and coldness was towards me she also didn't like Ashanti dating Danny. Of course all because he was best friends with Jake. We still kept in touch here and there. She always managed to try and bring James into our conversations. Which only led to more distance between us.

One thing Amy had mentioned about James that quietly lingered in my mind was that he seemed financially changed. He drove a nice car and dressed better. He also seemed more serious and mature. I wondered what made him change so much. Maple City was the place where he had run off too. After so long I had finally heard of his whereabouts. Still it didn't change how I felt about him. I wanted nothing to do with him. Just hearing his name would make my stomach turn. I had hated him for so long that I thought that dark hatred feeling would never change. Until I fell in love with Jake. From that point on all I felt for James was nothing. An empty feeling. Still I was curious as to what my reaction would be if I ever saw him again. I always thought 'Would the strong feelings I felt for him once rise again?..Or are those feelings forever vanished'.

Aside from our disagreements and differences. Amy and I still tried to maintain a somewhat good friendship. Although when we would go out double dating her and Jean would not tag along. Jake never once asked me why was Amy so distanced with me. I never brought it up either. On some weekends us four would go to the movies together or to fairs nearby. We would always have a blast with Ashanti's bad jokes and goofy randomness. Whenever I had a chance to be alone with Danny I would try to ask him about Jakes family. Though as expected being a solid friend to Jake not once did he break the bro-code. I learned to finally accept it. If Jake ever decided to finally open up about himself I would be ready to listen. For the meanwhile his life would maintain a mystery to me.