Chapter Fifty-Three: Birth To A New Beginning

(JAKES P.O.V)

My hands were sweating and my knees shaking as I nervously walked back and forth. I didn't know what was going on inside that room. All I could hear were Jazmin's painful cries. I couldn't go inside and see her that way. I was confused shocked and somewhat upset. We stopped talking to each other since my Mothers passing. The last time I saw her was at graduation day. I have to admit I couldn't bring myself to look her in the eyes after what happened. I distanced myself from her because her heart belonged to the only relative I have left. I was done fighting for her attention or for her love. I was not going to go up against my only brother. Even though he never once accepted me. We both exchanged a few hurtful glances the day we buried our mother. He was somewhat understanding enough to share that tough grieving evening with me. That day I got to see a weak torn side of him I never thought existed. Even though he held his feelings strongly inside by not shedding one single tear. I knew by the sad lonely look in his eyes that he was devastated. Some part of me wanted to let him know we weren't alone. We had each other. I wanted him to know I was willing to give up the love of my life for his happiness.

After all I was blessed with a lot since I was a baby. Life wasn't always so easy for him. There was so much I wanted to ask him. How was our Mother like? What were her likes and dislikes? I wanted to know more about him but I couldn't bring myself to do it. So instead I watched him in silence until he came up to me before leaving. He gave me a gentle pat in the back and then walked away. Our paths never crossed again. In the beginning it was difficult to move on and accept the reality. Jazmin was never going to be mine again. She was a chapter in my life I had closed. So I decided to go out and date. Never would I had thought I would be set up by my friend Danny on a blind date. She turned out to be a beautiful girl with big stunning hazel eyes. A smile that had me breathless since the first day I had met her. To my surprise it was Ashley the girl I had met months ago at a Cafe/Inn. During our date we instantly connected and from that day on we were basically inseparable. She became someone I cared for deeply. I leaned on her for support and not once did she leave me alone to deal with my feelings. She was there for me when times got rough. By that I mean the countless times I wanted to drink my pain numb. The times I wanted to run back to Jazmin. The dark times I thought I would become the monster my Father was.

She was the only person besides Nana that cared for me. She showed me that it was possible to trust again. Without her I don't know who I would've become. She kept me from losing my sanity. She engraved herself in my heart without me even knowing. I found out just how much she meant to me one night when I was close to losing her. I had been drinking and I kept constantly naming Jazmin to her. She had about enough that she drove me to Jazmin's house. Standing outside she looked me deep in the eyes and with all certainty she asked me to choose. If Jazmin was who I wouldn't be able to ever let go off then I would end up losing Ashley. Though if I was ready to start a healthy new relationship with her I would have to give up Jazmin for good this time. I looked up towards Jazmin's bedroom where I saw a light on. The thought of her laying awake in her bed crossed my mind. I was just a few steps away from being able to shout her name. I wondered if she would come out. How would she look? What would she say? What would I say? Suddenly my deep thoughts were interrupted when I noticed Ashley walking away. She had thought that with my silence I had chosen. Without hesitation I stopped her from leaving. I knew on that very night I had already opened up my heart to her. I was just too stupid to realize that she had become the girl I needed in my life.

Earlier in the day we were hiking when we noticed a parked car. As soon as I recognized it belonged to Miles I jogged towards it. As I pointed my flashlight to the inside, I suddenly heard distant screams. Looking up towards a small hill we noticed a girl laying on the grass while a guy desperately shouted for help. I ran as fast as I could. Once I got there I found myself standing over a frantic pregnant girl that cried in pain. I was shocked to see that it was Jazmin who laid there right before me. A million questions crossed my mind but all I could focus on was getting her to the hospital. She had blood dripping between her legs. Miles looked pale and worried. I couldn't seem to control my nerves either. I could hear my heartbeat racing. The waiting game to hear news of her was overwhelming me. I couldn't believe Jazmin had gotten pregnant. Could James be the Father? Or could it be me? The curiosity got the best of me so with all certainty I walked towards Miles. He must know after all he is James friend. Just as I was approaching him a doctor walked in the waiting room.