Chapter Forty-Three: The Call

The whole date with my parents at the movie theater wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I actually had fun and even though things with my dad were a bit awkward at times. We managed to get passed it. After the afternoon was over and nighttime had fallen we headed back home. While my mom went upstairs to get changed I stayed all alone with my dad in the living room. It was uncomfortable enough to make anyone feel tensed.

John- So how is school going?

Jazmin- Good..

"Is that your dress for prom?" He asked as he pointed to my dress that hung neatly by the dresser.

Jazmin- Yeah...I actually need to go take it to my room.

John- It will look beautiful on you.

Jazmin- Thank you.

John- So...Um any special person in your life yet?

Jazmin- (Why is he acting like my mom hasn't told him already)...Somewhat

John- What's his name?

I rolled my eyes and replied "Does it matter?".

John- You don't have to answer me in that tone.

Jazmin- You could drop the act of a caring Father it doesn't suit you anymore.

John- You have to respect me whether you like me or not!...I am your father!

Jazmin- YOU STOPPED BEING MY FATHER THE DAY YOU WALKED OUT OF MY LIFE!!!..

Rose- What in the world is going on here?

John- Rose please let me handle this..

"She needs time John...I think it's best if we call it a night" I overheard my mom tell him as I stepped outside the front door. I couldn't stand being anywhere close to him without feeling so much hatred and sorrow at the same time.

"Jazmin we need to talk" he said to me as he stepped outside to join me. "I came out here to get away from you so do you mind?" I said with annoyance.

John- I actually do.

Jazmin- Well I actually don't care what you think.

John- Can you please look at me.

Jazmin- What?

John- I am trying really hard here Jazmin...But every time I take a step closer to you...You take ten steps back...We cannot continue this way.

Jazmin- You're right we can't...Maybe you should do what you do best...LEAVE. Mom and I will do just fine without you.

John- Your words really hurt me..If that's what you were aiming for then congrats you got what you wanted..Just know I will always love you sweetie...My little boxer...My little Jaz.

I silently shed a tear as I heard him say those last words he use to always call me by.

John- When you are ready to heal those wounds I left in your little heart..I will be waiting with open arms..Ready to take you in and finally hug my little girl..But till that day comes..I will no longer look for you or bother you..Just know that you will always stay in my mind and heart like you always have. You will always be my little girl that I love so much. I hope you learn to forgive this old man you once called Dad.

He turned his back to me as I watched him leave. I broke down in tears. I didn't want things to had gone that far. I didn't want to watch him walk out of my life again and this time I'd be the one to blame if he never came back. So without hesitating I shouted after him "DAD WAIT!".