Chapter Sixty-Six: A New Home

(SEVERAL YEARS LATER)

*Present Time*

Jazmin- Mom!! Where are Toby's chew toys!?

Rose- *Whispers...Quick go hide them.

Aquamarine- Hehe Okay gramma..

Jazmin- Mom! I've been calling you..Didn't you hear me?

Rose- Sorry honey I was grabbing the last box of your belongings.

Jazmin- I cant find Toby's chew toys...If I don't take them with me..he'll chew on my new sofa..You know how much of a playful puppy he is..

Rose- Hmm...Have you asked a special little someone?

Jazmin- Huh?...Ooh no....Aqua!! Where are you!?

Rose- Whatever you do don't look under the bed!

Aquamarine- Gramma is mommy gone?

Rose- She's looking for you upstairs...Quick go hide inside the car..I'll distract her..

Aquamarine- *Giggles....Okay!

I looked all over the rooms and there was no sign of that little playful monkey. A brief sweet smile crossed my face as I looked outside the bedroom window. Aquamarine's jet black hair swiftly swayed behind the grey truck I drove. I took a deep breath as I leaned back against the wall while taking a gaze towards the house next door. The house that use to belong to the person that I had fallen in love with deeply. Very long years had passed. My little girl had turned seven. Jake had gotten her a puppy named Toby. The excitement on her face as she unwrapped the gift box was so delightful to watch. Jake had taken me by surprise with his kind gesture.

The last time I had seen him was the night we both shared. Although nothing happened between us. Having him hold me through the night was enough for the memory to vividly last all these years. I chose to push him out of my life after James left town. I didn't want any reminder of him. I needed to put distance between both brothers in order to move on with my life. I wasn't home when Jake came to drop off the gift to Aquamarine. I was told from my mother that he had changed. He looked a lot more manly and seemed to be doing well. I was happy for him. It warmed my heart to know even though we weren't in touch with one another. He still kept my daughters birthday in mind after all these years. He had left a note for me the day he came by.

(Jazmin it's been a while..I'm back in town to stay..I hope you accept an invitation to dinner with me soon..By the way your daughter seems to get lovelier by the day..Please accept the small gift I left her..It's with much love..Hope to hear from you soon -Jake)

I have thought about reaching back to him. Yet there is always something holding me back. Nervousness..Doubtfulness..Fear. It was overwhelming to just think Jake was back in town to stay. Nevertheless to consider going on a date with him after so long. That jittery feeling in my stomach I knew so well from long ago arose once again. Just the thought of being anywhere close to him stroke me with curiosity and uneasiness. As I walked out of the room I came upon a small picture laying on the floor. I smiled while I held it in my hands. It was a picture of Miles with his soldier uniform on. He had signed up for the Marines after his mother passed away.

He felt guilt for leaving her alone and choosing to stay with me. Shortly after her burial he ended the relationship with me and then he left. Couple months later after the breakup. I received a postcard of his whereabouts. Ever since then on every birthday of Aquamarine he'll send her a picture. Whether he's on uniform or out in an adventure he always stays in touch with her. Sadly I can't say the same about us. We stopped talking completely after he left. He avoids hearing my voice at all costs. He managed to send a paid cellphone to Aquamarine so he could directly stay in touch with her. It saddens me that things between us ended the way they did.