Chapter Sixty-Seven: Fateful Accident

I woke up to the sound of little birds singing a sweet tune. I turned around to see the most beautiful angelic face my eyes will ever see. Aquamarine laid peacefully asleep next to me. To avoid waking her up I got up very slowly. I managed to get some of the moving boxes emptied out and did some cleaning as well. Everything was running smoothly till I opened the refrigerator. "What!!! I have nothing in here!!" Gosh what was I gonna cook now! I was so caught up with finishing Aquamarine's room yesterday that I forgot to go grocery shopping. All that hard work for nothing. Since it was our first night sleeping in our new house. She was afraid of sleeping alone in her big room. So she creeped inside my room during the night and slept with me. Sudden knocks on the door startled me.

Jake- Surprise!..

Jazmin- Jake? Hi..Come in..

Jake- I know it's a bit early but I was around the block grabbing a coffee and I thought of you both..I wondered if you girls had ate..So I brought you both donuts and a cup of coffee for you..

Jazmin- You're so thoughtful...Thank you..You literally just saved me from a quick run to the grocery store..

Jake- *Chuckles...Forgetful as usual..

Jazmin- *Sighs...Guilty..

Aquamarine- Uncle Jake!!..

Jake- Hey there Princess..Look I brought you sprinkled donuts.

Aquamarine- Yummy!!!..Thank you..But can we go to the park first??

Jake- Um..What does Mommy think?

Jazmin- First you gotta clean yourself up and eat.

Aquamarine- Yay!!!...Come on Toby we need a shower!

Jazmin- Aqua!..Not the dog!..Ugh why do I even bother..

Jake- *Chuckles...She never fails to make me smile..

We walked into the kitchen and sat down. I opened the box and took out a jelly filled donut. I noticed Jake looking over at me with a stare full of affection. To break the awkward silence I asked him a question.

Jazmin- So...You and Ashley?

Jake- We're completely over...

Jazmin- What happened?...

Jake- ...Um..

Jazmin- Oh I'm sorry...I'm intruding on a personal topic..

Jake- No it's fine..I want to tell you..It's just that...

Jazmin- (I noticed he shifted a thoughtful look towards the floor..I could tell something was weighing heavy on him)...Jake you don't have to tell me..It's okay..

Jake- It's not that...It's just a bit difficult for me..

Jazmin- Well I can tell it's hard for you to touch this subject...So I'm guessing something bad must've happened between you two..

Jake- Ashley....She...Lost the baby...It was all my fault.

Jazmin- What?..

Jake- *Voice Breaking...We..We had an argument...So I left the house for a couple of days..One day I had gotten back from my studies when I got a call from her mother..Ashley had lost the baby and I wasn't there for her..I..I didn't get to say goodbye to my unborn baby..

As he finished saying that he broke down. I saw a vulnerable man crying his heart out. Seeing him that way broke me. I quickly got up and hugged him tightly. I could tell how much pain he was holding inside. He held onto me even tighter. At that precise moment all I wanted to do was to show him he wasn't alone. I was there for him regardless. I wanted him to know everything would be okay. However the thought of losing a child frightened me. I couldn't imagine my life without Aquamarine. If I ever were to lose her I'd die of sadness.