Chapter 1

Lonely.

One word to describe me. More like the only word to describe me.

I've experienced loneliness my whole life; the day my father left, when I found my boyfriend of two years cheating on me and even when my favorite cat died. But I had never felt more lonely than I do right now.

Moving to Sydney, Australia one day before my senior year of high school was probably the worst thing that could have happened to me. Leaving the two best friends that I had behind, the best friends that it took me until fifth grade to get, the best friends that knew me better than anyone else. Now I would have to try even harder to make friends. A new school filled with people that have already known each other for years. A school that was probably filled with tan, bitchy girls and jocks looking to bang anything that moved.

If I wasn't so close with my mom and younger brother, Bradley, I would have stayed back home. I'm 18 and old enough to get my own place, my friends and I even talked about it, but I couldn't leave them behind. Not like my father did, even though it was good for all of us that he did. And even though I was furious with my mom for taking a job that was on the other side of the world, I loved her more than anything and knew I would have to get over it eventually. Who knows, maybe moving was a good thing.

Besides my two best friends back home, Abigail and Ben, I wouldn't miss a single thing about Cleveland. My hometown is full of bad memories of my father, my ex-boyfriend and my childhood. A fresh start was something that I desperately needed. But everytime I come close to thinking that I'm no longer sad about leaving, flashbacks of Abigail and Ben's crying faces flood my mind and I'm upset all over again. Talking to them was going to be difficult because of the major time difference, and visiting would be hell too considering we can't even afford our own apartment and we would be poor college kids before we knew it. We promised to stay in contact though and I believed we could make it work.

I take a deep breath as I look out the window at the beautiful sight of the coastline. One thing I am happy about is that there will be a beach only a few minutes away. A beach is the perfect getaway in my opinion and of course there was none around us back home. I add this to the list in my head of pros and cons of Australia, this being the first pro. Maybe throughout the week I will find more pros.

I close my eyes for the rest of the ride to our new home, Bring Me The Horizon blaring through my headphones. A few minutes later I am awakened by Bradley, not even realizing that I dozed off. I stare out my window at the huge, new house in front of me. Sighing, I open my door and step onto the fresh, black pavement. The warm air hits my face and it finally sinks in that this is my new home.