Chapter 16: The Deal

-Nami's POV-

"How did you know?" I asked Yuuto.

I couldn't figure out how he knew who I was. I had a fake name and I faked my entire identity, so how did he figure me out?

"A true magician never reveals his secrets. If you want to know, you'll have to figure that out for yourself." He told me with a smile. 

I thought back to the time I was with him but couldn't think of when he knew. Did he know all along or did he not at first but somehow discovered my real self?

I then thought of something.

"The time when you entered the shop. You stopped for a moment and I felt a different aura coming off you then." 

It was true. The moment he went inside the shop, he suddenly stopped and it felt like he changed.

"Correct! You see, I placed up a barrier that identifies any enemies. Specifically, enemies like the killers for hire." 

How was he able to manage that? 

"You're a magician?" I asked.

"You could say I am." He vaguely told me.

Just who is this guy? He was able to apprehend me like it was nothing.

I didn't even sense anyone sneak behind on me. The fact that they were able to conceal themselves to where I couldn't detect them shows that they're far better than me.

Since I'm in the top five deadliest killers for hire, no one other than another killer for hire can take me on. Yet some shopkeeper and his siblings were able to get the drop on me.

"Just who are you people?" I demanded to know.

Yuuto was silent for a moment but then spoke. 

"We're just normal people trying to make the best out of this life. The fact that I have to deal with people like you is already starting to be a pain. To be honest, I actually expected you guys to come after me sooner than this but that actually gave me enough time to prepare myself."

He knew that I or the other killers for hire would come after him? How did he know that?

Did he get a tip from someone? The bandit boss?

No, he doesn't know about Hazel's contacts. Then who?

. . . His brother! He knew about Hazel's relationship with us and he was the one that tried to take Iris in the first place.

I thought Yuuto got lucky but maybe he actually planned that out too. How much does he know? How does he know any of this?

He was able to take me down, he knows who I am, and he seems to be hiding more than he's leading on. 

"So, what are you going to do to me?" I asked already knowing the answer.

It's obvious that they're going to kill me. If they don't then I'll escape and report back to Hazel. 

I don't really like her much but she's a very good client considering that she pays me far more gold coins than my other clients. It was her way of showing that "My skills require more than just what I'm originally offered."

"Well, I have thought of killing you." He began.

I knew it. It's a smart move to make so I can't blame him.

Besides, I guess he still holds a grudge since I tried to kill him. Hopefully, he'll make my death go swiftly but if not, it won't matter.

I close my eyes and wait for death.