9

Ashton

"Hello?"

"Ava,"

Ava and I sat on her bed, Amber and Sapphire on FaceTime.

"Are you mad at me?"

"No," they said immediately, "Are you okay?"

"We're getting there," I said.

"I just wanted to ask because you might be mad. I wanted to tell you in my own time on my own terms,"

"It sucks that you couldn't, but it doesn't change a thing. You don't look well," Amber said.

"Everyone keeps saying that,"

"Are you dating Julie then?" Sapphire smiled, clapping when she nodded.

"I knew it! You two are so cute. Have you been on any dates?"

"No, but she has come round before,"

"How on earth you managed to hang out with us and not make us notice," Amber laughed, "impressive. I'm glad she makes you happy,"

"You're not mad?"

"No! You'll have to send is pictures one time,"

"I will,"

"We are gonna leave you, because you seem tired, and have had a tough day," Sapphire said, "but please don't worry. Nothing has changed, we will see you when you're ready,"

"Thankyou," she said, "goodnight,"

We ended the call and she flopped forward, putting my hand on her back. Viola was showering, and Ava was supposed to go to bed now, but I could tell her body was aching.

I started on her head, gently rubbing circles into it. I heard her sigh, relaxing her body properly. Carefully, I moved to the bottom of her neck, then her shoulders, releasing the tension.

"Why do my joints hurt so much?"

"There's a couple of reasons, but we just need to make sure we keep you moving yet rested,"

"Please can I have some medicine?"

"Yeah, after this,"

As I got lower down her back, she tensed up, needing a reminder that I wasn't doing anything. I took her ankles and stretched them, then playfully wiggled them and her wrists. She giggled and rolled over, sighing.

"I don't want an appointment tomorrow,"

"I know, but you need to have them. It's not a tightening,"

"I get elastics next time,"

"Yep, but it's shaping up,"

"Are you doing my appointment?"

"I am, and chief is coming in to hold your hand,"

"No, Viola,"

"She has her own work to do, it's really nice for the chief to come down,"

"I'm going to sleep,"

"Okay, I'll get you the medicine,"

I knocked on the bathroom door, slowly opening it. She was still in the shower, and poked her head round the corner.

"Sorry, I need the medicine,"

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah, but I think she has an infection,"

"She's gonna hate you tomorrow," she smiled, "I'll be out in a minute,"

I took the tablet to Ava, then kissed her head, turning off her light. I waited in our room for Viola, smiling when she came in.