63

Ava

"Who else have you seen over summer? You've been pretty quiet,"

"Is that bad?"

"Depends why,"

"I saw Julie, and Sam, and Harry's friends. Oh, and Owen."

"Now me. Sapphire will probably be upset, you know,"

"Why?"

"Because you have seen all your other friends."

"But we don't have time. I go on holiday, then I have to go to court, then we move house. Also, she could've invited me round but she hasn't,"

"True,"

"I don't want to argue though,"

"It'll be fine. What did you do with Julie?"

"Bowling, and we played monopoly, but I fell asleep,"

"Have you texted her since?"

"I'm not very good at being a friend or a girlfriend,"

"Face time her later,"

I nodded and looked at my nails, which were really pretty. Amber had long ones, mine were short and kept going under a warm machine.

The person doing my nails hadn't spoken to me, but she looked angry, or scared.

"Are you okay?"

I received a look that I didn't like.

"Because I have had some bad days too, but there are also good days,"

With that, she got up and went to a male member of staff- who looked terrified- angrily talking. Amber watched closely.

Then, the man put gloves on and sat down, giving me a warm smile.

"I'm taking over, if that's okay? She wasn't feeling well,"

"Oh. I hope she feels better soon,"

"Yeah," he said, smiling sympathetically, "so you have a girlfriend?"

Amber furrowed her eyebrows, both of our nails thankfully almost done.

"It doesn't matter,"

"I do," I said quietly, "do you?"

"A boyfriend. That's why she gave me such a glare, absolutely hates ga- me,"

"She left because I had a girlfriend?" I said, shrinking back in my seat. I had never actually faced hate for it, because even when Savanna said things, it wasn't really against being bi.

"I will take money off the price, I am so sorry. I hope you still realise that it isn't a bad thing,"

I met him with silence, putting my nails in the machine for one last time. Amber stood up and went to pay, while I just wanted to call dad and go home.

He had given me the exact amount of money, but when the price changed I panicked and gave it all over. Kindly, the man gave me change back and then I rung dad.

"Hey poppet. You done?"

"Come here quick,"

"What happened?"

"The woman wouldn't do my nails because I have a girlfriend,"

"Okay, alright. Don't cry in there sweetheart, we will be there as soon as possible,"

I ended the call and Amber hugged me, deciding to take us outside.

"She didn't want to touch me,"