64

Ashton

Cal and I started unloading all of our supplies, batches beyond batches of tools, gloves and masks.

On request, our room was being slightly shifted around while I was away. Where the families sit and wheelchairs go were being switched around so that we could have a large mural of animals.

Hopefully the colours and animals would distract them a little. The wall itself was being painted a light blue, and we were getting a sofa instead of plastic chairs. We had wanted a revamp for a while, but we only just got more funding. Our services weren't deemed as important until the past few years.

"Look," Calum said excitedly, holding up the X-ray cover for kids, which had a jungle book print on it; our blankets had more colours. We labelled them all for when they got washed every night, then folded them up and put them back in the cupboard.

"What is Sophie getting in her room?" I asked, "Viola is having a beach thing painted onto her wall,"

"Soph is getting kinda the same, but under the sea, so she is getting a dolphin x-ray cover, and the blankets are all different blues. It will look really cool,"

"Soph, ay?"

He blushed and stepped back, seeing that we had unpacked it all.

"Shall we go and see soph?"

"Shut up," he grumbled, "If you mess this up for me, I will be so mad,"

"Chill man," I grinned, "how could anyone say no to you?"

I checked Viola was managing and saw Josie was helping her, so we grabbed our lunch and headed to the office.

Inside, there was quiet conversation, but it was at least something.

"Dad," Ava said, standing up and hugging my side, "I missed you,"

"What have you been talking about though? You're not alone,"

She moved the laptop and I sat down, Cal the other side of Sophie.

"Just about what we like, and don't like," she smiled, hinting that they hadn't covered much about the dentist at all, which was the big aim of this.

"So now you know each other, perhaps you could talk about how you feel and what you would like to happen in an appointment. Once her room is all decorated, you can have a look round," Cal encouraged, making her bury her head in my side.

"I don't want one,"

"Well you need to have one poppet. We aren't being mean, or trying to stress you out,"

"But it does,"

"So tell us how to stop that,"

"A blanket,"

"You can have a blanket," she nodded.

"I want gas," she whimpered, just at the thought of it.

"I know, but we only want to use that if you have a poorly tooth, and Sophie won't find them anymore,"

"But when Calum cleans?"

"We will think about it, but when will you realise it is only Calum?"

"My biggest worry about everything is that you'll embarrass me,"

"I can help you. Not tell you off, not shame you, but help you,"

She nodded and let out a deep breath, sitting up a bit more. I kissed her head , able to rub her back now.