95

Ava

"Have a good time, okay? Your dad will get you later," Michael said, dropping me off at Sam's. I gave him a hug and he waved me off, staying until Jordan had let me inside.

"Sam!"

"Coming!"

"Jordan, we need to go," his dad said, "hello Ava,"

"Hi,"

"Kelly is gonna be back soon, she went to get some soup for lunch,"

"Oh, okay,"

He smiled and then ushered Jordan out, who had left a trail of mud from his football boots, and shut the door. It was much more chaotic than at home.

Awkwardly, I stood in the kitchen, waiting for Sam. It was a lot like my new home, with marble counters, but they had a lot more expensive food and an island. It was cool that we had similar things, because if he came over he wouldn't feel weird like I did at first.

"Hey," he smiled, jogging into the kitchen, "you look nice,"

"Oh, thankyou,"

He smiled and pulled me into a hug, his aftershave comforting me; Marcus had the same one. He'd just showered, his brown curls flopping over his head, and he wore a really soft hoodie.

Perhaps I was just missing Julie, but I could stay in his hold forever.

"Are you okay? You need the hug huh?"

"Yeah,"

"What's up?"

I shrugged and he took my hand, pulling me down to the basement like last time- there seemed to be even more books.

"You don't have to tell me, but you can if you want,"

"It's fine, I'm just missing Julie,"

"Why?"

"She used to make me really happy,"

"I know, Ava, but you are worth so much more than getting cheated on,"

"Everyone keeps saying that,"

"Because she chose someone else to be with over you, didn't she? And that's not right, it's not how relationships should go,"

"But I want to make up with her, and be with her again,"

"She's not the only person who will ever love you. You gave her your vulnerability, she abused it,"

"Oh,"

He squeezed my hand and I started to understand. She had caused me to cry and hurt in a way I'd never felt before, and I still had people to make me happy.

"You'll still be my friend, won't you?"

"I didn't invite you round for no reason," he laughed, sitting back in a beanbag; I sat opposite.

"I never actually know what to do when I am at someone's house,"

"Whatever you like. I'm fine with staying and chilling, but we can go out if you want,"