29

Ashton

"You ready to see Ashley? Her x-rays came through and we have some work to do," Calum said as I walked back in.

"Because she doesn't brush her teeth,"

"Mhm. I think I'll clean them first,"

He went to get her and I looked at the x-rays, seeing two deep cavities to fill. She was twelve, and they were both in adult teeth.

There were our three generic patients today. Ashley, who was stubborn and rude, Taylor who screamed and cried, and Toby who was a little nervous but caused no fuss at all.

"Sit down please," Calum said, washing his hands, "I'm going to clean them before Ashton looks,"

"I'll bite you,"

"No you will not," he said sternly, "sit down,"

She huffed and slumped onto the seat, snatching the sunglasses from my hand. Her mum didn't say anything, which made the whole ordeal harder.

"Do you brush and floss twice a day?"

"Yes,"

"And have you noticed any sensitivity?"

"No,"

"Okay. The chair is going down,"

He put a bib on her and lowered the chair, turning on the light as he grabbed the mirror and scaler.

"Can you open for me please?"

"I don't have to do what you say,"

"Who is the one with the tools?"

She folded her arms and opened her mouth, prompting him to tilt her chin back a bit more. It didn't take long for him to look up at me, taking the scaler out.

"Ash, please can you grab me the sonic scaler,"

"What's that?" she asked as I put it together, handing it to him.

"A more powerful version of my hand scaler to get away harder plaque,"

"You don't need that,"

"I do, because you, young lady, definitely do not brush twice a day. Open back up please,"

After a lot of scaling, he polished her teeth, then started to floss. I could tell he was frustrated, we both were, because seeing someone so young like this never meant anything good.

"You have two deep cavities, and that could've easily been stopped by brushing and flossing. We are trying to help you, and you're giving us grier," Calum said, her fist clenching. Just in case, I put my hand ontop of hers.

"If you don't start brushing your teeth, you will have a lot of cavities,"

"I don't have to listen,"

"More cavities means more visits here," I said, "and to start that off, I'm seeing you in three months instead of six,"

Cal and I swapped places and I put gloves on, having a look myself. I didn't hesitate to slide a mouth prop in and put numbing gel down.

"I hope you get fired," she hissed.

"I don't think that will be happening soon. Take deep breaths,"

"Why three months?"

"Because if you haven't improved your brushing, more serious action will have to take place,"

Calum held her head still as I gave her the shot, shushing her as she groaned. While that numbed, I did the other, almost being hit by her.

"Is there a reason you hate us so much?"