78

Viola

"Are you joining us for tea?" Ash asked, rubbing my stomach.

"Yeah, yeah. Call me down,"

"I am booking you a doctors appointment tomorrow, whether you like it or not,"

"I am seeing Luke,"

"With an appointment, just to be sure,"

I nodded and kissed him, curling back into the covers as he left. Really, I felt too nauseous to eat, but I knew I had to.

When there was another knock on the door, I dismissed it, thinking it was just my imagination. However, I felt the bad dip beside me, and a head hit the pillow.

"What is going on?"

"What?" I sniffed, not looking at Marcus.

"You know why you are sick. Tell us,"

"I don't kn,"- "please, mum. I am so scared,"

"Don't be scared,"

"That scares me even more, mum,"

"I am fine, Marcus. Please just help dad,"

He hugged me, then left. I stayed alone until tea was ready, which I dragged myself down to. I wanted so badly to explain things to Ash, but I didn't know how, and it made me feel so isolated.

He took my hand, gently rubbing small circles on it while we both ate the vegetables- worst thing first, of course.

"So tomorrow, Luke is coming at about midday. We do not wake mum up unless it's an emergency, and Marcus it would be nice if you could perhaps talk to Luke,"

"Yeah,"

"And Ava, you can't make a fuss about what he makes for lunch,"

"I won't,"

"Good,"

"What do I say to him?" Marcus asked.

"Just talk to him about literally anything," I smiled, hiding the fact that the food was churning in my stomach.

We finished up and I headed upstairs, hearing everyone get ready for a movie night. Julie hadn't texted, still, and it shocked me really. She had always been so lovely and polite.

I genuinely hoped things would work out between her and Ava because it would shatter Ava's heart. She trusted Julie with her body and mind a lot, and it would be a shame to lose that.

I thought it might be hard to sleep considering how sick I felt- however, as my mind wandered, so did my energy, and I fell fast asleep.

Yet, considering Ash telling the kids not to wake me up, Marcus woke me up around 9am. However, when I heard crying too, I knew it would be reasonable.

"We need to take Ava to the doctors too,"

"Why?"

"Her ears are infected from the earrings,"

"Can you give me five minutes?"

He nodded and left, and I could hear him helping Ava get ready. These earrings had made her so excited, and confident, and I didn't want them to be taken away. She was most likely allergic to the metal, and if that was the case then I would pay that extra for the more expensive metal.

I got changed and brushed my teeth, grabbing a breakfast bar on my way. Ava and Marcus were in pyjamas but by the toothpaste on Ava's cheek, I knew she had eaten and got ready.

"Lets go and see Michael poppet,"

"I am really upset mum,"

"I know, but we can't let you get sick from this,"

Maturely, she nodded and got into the car. I took a moment to get into driving mode, then set off towards the hospital. Marcus comforted her on the way, and I called Luke and Michael to explain. Luke agreed to come and meet us while Michael agreed to see us after his patient.

When we arrived, we went to their office, Luke shortly joining us.

"It's all going down huh?"

"This is Marcus," I said quietly, noticing how stern he looked towards me.

"It's nice to finally meet you,"

"Luke," Ava cried, hugging him tightly as he sat beside her. He shushed her, Marcus taking my hand instead.

The door burst open and Michael came inside, tending to Ava immediately. She let him hold her up, the five of us heading to his exam room.

"Alright sweetheart, can I take a look? Tie your hair back,"

"I love you Michael," she whimpered, leaning onto his shoulder as he put gloves on.

"And I love you too, which is why I am going to help,"

Cautiously, he looked behind both her ears, cleaning them both.

"This looks like it hurts, ay?"

"It does,"

"Then I think I am going to take the earrings out, perhaps help clear the infection and put you on tablets. It'll all be over by school,"

"I just wanted to look pretty. It made me feel pretty," she said, her eyes welling up.

"If you let me do this, then I will buy you a pretty ring or necklace instead,"

She nodded and Luke stood behind her, hugging her but also holding her arms.

"I am going to put some cream on first, okay? Because it is pretty tight,"

"Please just do it,"

He nodded and put it on both ears to numb them, before starting to twist them out. She began to cry again, Marcus soothing her as well.

"You will still look so pretty. You are so brave,"

Over, and over.

Their bond was genuinely unbreakable.

"Both out love, can I clean it up for you?"

"I was so excited,"

"We know," Luke said, "but there are plenty of other opportunities,"

I reached across and held her hand as he finished up, prescribing anti biotics.

"Lets talk about what jewellery I'm getting you while mum and Luke talk,"

"I want a hug from mum,"

"You can have all the hugs you need later," I said, kissing her head.

I slid off the bed and followed Luke outside, where he covered his face and took a deep breath.

"What is going on?"

"I-I can't say,"

"What do you mean? Viola your health is so important. Ash is worried sick, you've been coming into work tired, pale, and uneasy. You can't go on like this,"

"I know, Luke,"

"Are you sick or not?"

"No,"

"Then what, Viola. Why aren't you talking to Ash? Why are you moping about? Why aren't you eating? It's important to eat,"

"I can't say," I persisted. It wasn't supposed to be like this.

"Well you need to tell someone,"

"Ash will be so mad,"

"He won't be. Spit it out,"

"Fine Luke. Fine, I am pregnant. Is that what you wanted? I am twenty six. I have just started a stable career. My dad is sick, and I am pregnant. I don't have the money nor the time, nor the skills to be a mother, yet here I am with a kid growing inside of me, Luke,"

"What?"

"I- am- fucking- pregnant,"