41

Ashton

Yesterday in town, Viola and I had taken the chance of being alone to get advent calendars, and go on a little coffee date.

Now she was better again, we could have normal conversations and have some time alone. We loved Ava to pieces, but we'd never had a relationship without a kid, and it was slightly harder to go at your own pace, or do it your own way.

Some things moved slowly, yet other moved as fast as lightening; we were already buying a house together four our family. I had confidence in us though, and if we were to adopt Marcus, this flat just wasn't the place.

I was excited to see Ava's face light up when she got an advent calendar, and hoped she was excited for Christmas. Honestly, it seemed like a big stress for her.

Sometimes I almost forgot she was adopted from a background like she was, because she could be so excitable and upbeat; that was the Ava I wanted to see as much as possible this Christmas.

When she woke up, I served up breakfast and laid her advent calendar next to it. She sat down, looking up at me.

"Is this mine?"

"Yep,"

"You can share it with me if you want,"

"I've got one poppet, but that was really nice of you,"

Hesitantly, she opened the first door, finding the chocolate inside.

"Thankyou,"

"You're welcome, eat your breakfast,"

I kept her company at the table and drank my coffee, listening to how Luke wanted to take her swimming later. Understandably, she was nervous to be in her swimming costume, but I assured her that the gym pool wouldn't be too full when they go, and that Luke would look after her.

We both finished getting ready, Viola beating us to it, before we went towards work.

"Dad, am I still allowed at Sam's tomorrow?"

"Yes, but grandma will be picking you up to see Lucy again. Please can you get his address before tomorrow morning?"

"Okay,"

Viola smiled and took my hand, running her thumb against my knuckles.

"Tonight, why don't you ask Luke a bit about his family,"

"Okay. Please can I see Calum before I go, and will Michael visit me?"

"Let's go to the staffroom, because they might be waiting for briefing,"

Once she'd eaten, she went and got ready, ushering us to the car as if we were running behind. We laughed it off, and did as she said.

As we arrived, I put my arm round Viola's waist and let Ava hold my arm, the three of us walking across the car park. The receptionist greeted us and we went to the staffroom, where I got all of us a bottle of water.

I turned round and Ava was cuddling Michael, before showing him her colouring book. She'd chosen that, along with her new book, as entertainment today because it was calming.

Calum also made his way over and hugged her, then grinned and hugged me.

"You look better," he said to Viola, "back to work,"

"It was boring to not be here,"

"You're back," Michael smiled, "all better?"

It was a relief for my friends to include Viola, and make her feel welcome. The group of people she had around her was small- which wasn't always bad- but she thrived off other's energy like Ava and it was restricting.