36

Ashton

I was wary about taking Ava to the opticians, because Viola was sick, so I'd sent Luke round to make sure nothing bad happened.

I was probably overreacting, and it was just tonsillitis, but I couldn't bare to leave her alone in how much pain she was in. In the morning Ava had decided to stay with her at home instead, my mum dropping off to give her the art and make sure they'd eaten.

But now, Ava was shouting at me, refusing to leave the apartment.

"Ava, Viola is in there trying to sleep. Come on," I said through gritted teeth.

"No, no, no,"

"Look, we will talk downstairs,"

"You'll be alright," Luke said, "we both have to go, and they don't hurt you,"

"They're so close to me,"

"They are for a little bit, but if you do as they say it'll be over soon,"

He wiped her tears, before she fell into me, quietening down as we hugged. I took her hand and we left, getting into the car.

"It'll be okay,"

I reminded myself to step back and realise how new this situation was. I was so used to her being okay, and coping at doctors appointments that I hadn't taken into account how she felt now.

"It can be scary, I get that,"

"Hold my hand,"

"I need to give them space, but I will sit opposite you and give you thumbs up,"

"What if something's wrong?"

"There probably is, but you just get glasses! You can choose whichever ones you want as long as the price isn't terrifying,"

She wiped her tears and took my hand, turning the radio on.

"Not your headphones?"

"I don't know,"

"It's okay, you just usually use headphones,"

She took heavy breaths and continued to cry, making me hold her hand on the way. For her right now, this was the most terrifying thing, and it was hard to stay calm. When we got there, I stopped the car and turned to her, cupping her cheek.

"You'll be okay, do you want me to explain it?"

"No,"

"Okay, I'll just tell them you're a little anxious. It's not like the doctors,"

We got out the car and I wrapped my arm round her, walking into the opticians. I signed us in and we sat down, her hands shaking.

"I've never seen you so nervous," I said sympathetically, "this is the appointment people don't get nervous for,"

"Well I am,"

I slowly ran my fingers through her hair, scouting a few glasses out so that the pressure wasn't on her after.

"Ava Irwin?"

I stood up, lightly tugging at her hand so that she did too. A young woman had called us, a smile on her face which filled me with hope.

"How are you feeling today?"

"She's a little anxious, she's never done this before," I said when she didn't respond.

"Well I'm sure you'll do ace. I need to take a picture of the back of your eye first,"

"What!" she shrieked.