67

Ava

"Canonball!"

"Wow that's cold,"

"Can't we just wake Ava up?"

"She needs her sleep,"

I groaned,  looking out of the window and realising it looked straight out at the pool, where everyone was sunlounging or swimming.

Mum and Lauren were getting a tan, while grandma read a book nearer the shade. Harry and dad were basically attacking each other in the pool, which I guessed was nice and cool. 

I went to my suitcase and found a bikini, deciding I would try it on and see how I felt. My head hurt a little, but I just needed a drink.

As I looked in the mirror, I bit my lip, looking at myself. It was only my family, and I didn't feel too bad in it- Lauren and mum were wearing one too anyway. After getting a drink and putting it on the table outside, I took a pair of goggles that dad had packed and put them on.

"Ava!"

"Can I go in the pool?"

"You can, but we need to put suncream on you," mum said, walking over, "I will help,"

I rubbed it into my arms, stomach and legs while she did my back, neck and face. It was disgusting.

"All done, it is a bit cold but feels nice once you're in,"

Dad swam over to the side and held his hand out, making me sit down on the edge. I yelped when the water hit my legs, but he had already slung me over his shoulder and dunked my shoulders into the pool before I could react.

"Better to get it over with," he grinned, letting me cling onto his neck.

"Why is this country hotter?"

"It is closer to the equator, which is where it is hottest,"

I hummed and rested my head on his shoulder, proud that I understood what he meant.

"Shall we play piggy in the middle?" Harry asked, grabbing a ball that was already here.

"Drinks!"

"In a minute," dad smiled, the three of us going to the pool side. Having only been awake briefly, the different conversations were a bit of an overload, but dad could sense it. He kept close to me and helped me sit on the side to drink; we all drank our drinks and then Harry explained the game, going in the middle first.

I wasn't very good at catching, so ended  up in the middle often. It was clear that dad kept trying to be bad, but really it was me.

"I don't want to play anymore,"

"Okay, why don't you sit with Viola and put some more suncream on?"

"It is really hot,"

"Yeah, perhaps you can sit with grandma instead then, talk about your summer,"

I nodded and climbed out the pool, wrapping a towel round me and laying on a sun lounger next to grandma.

"Hey hun,"