53

Ashton

The week was pretty boring, with meetings about buying and selling, and work. Viola was wrapping presents, packing her bag and was overall extremely stressed. I knew there was the underlying worry about how her dad would be, and I'd tried to take as much work as she'd let me from her.

I felt so blessed to have my family with me on Christmas.

"Last day," Calum smiled, "I'm ready for Christmas,"

"Definitely," I mumbled, "what's happening today?"

"A lot of younger children, who got out of school the week I'm guessing. A couple having fillings and then there's Max, who needs a couple removing,"

"A pretty standard day then,"

"Thankfully,"

We organised the office, seeing a couple of teenagers first. They weren't happy, but they complied nonetheless.

As Calum cleaned up, I wondered what Ava was doing. Hopefully she was relaxing, because from tomorrow onwards, it was chaos; she tended to just do what she wanted.

"Mum is so excited to meet Ava, and so is Mali. I think she'll feel included,"

"I love your family Cal, so I'm really hoping she gets on with them,"

"She'll warm up eventually, even if it takes a few visits,"

"I'm excited to meet Marcus too,"

"It's happened so soon,"

"I know, and the bank meeting went really well. We can take out a mortgage and move in within weeks,"

"Really?"

"Apparently so, although it'll be a bit longer because we have to go to court and go on holiday,"

"If you need me to do anything, I'll help,"

"I don't think there's much you can do, perhaps  you could come to the court though,"

"Of course. Where is he sleeping?"

"Either an air bed or her bed, just for now,"

"I'm really happy for you mate, I really am. The days before you met Ava, you felt like you couldn't love someone again, and now you've got a family. A year can change a lot,"

"Gosh... it's been a year,"

"The orphanage come back in soon, bring her along,"

"I will, she'll love to see Georgia. It's amazing how much she's grown,"

"I'm proud of her," Calum smiled, standing to get the next patient, "she's done so well. Our next patient has ADHD, by the way,"

I put a new mask on my chin and smiled as a young boy ran in.

"Hello,"

"Hello!" I chuckled, "Who are you?"

"Kayden,"

"It's very nice to me you Kayden," I smiled, his mum entering, "I'm Dr Ashton,"

"Can you sit on the chair?" Calum asked, "I think our bear needs a cuddle,"

I helped him up and shuffled him backwards, leaning the chair back.

"So, do you know why you're here?"

"To fix my poorly teeth,"

"That's right. Could I take a look at them please?"

"I can point to them, because they hurt,"