47

Ava

Despite thinking I would be nervous, I was actually excited to meet Luke's family.

I'd woken up in a good mood, even better when dad said I was seeing Julie on Monday and staying over at her house. It was my first sleepover away, and I was surprisingly not anxious.

We ate breakfast together and Viola helped me choose an outfit, taking a couple of photos. She was becoming more like a mum to me, and I wanted to call her that if she was okay with it.

While I brushed my teeth, I wondered how. Would dad be upset? Or happy? They weren't married, but if they weren't going to marry, then there wasn't a right time to start saying it.

Dad came into the bathroom and hugged me, placing a kiss on my head. As he pulled away, I didn't let go, making him rock us back and forth.

"What's bugging you ay?"

"I miss you, that's all,"

"Being a teenager is hard Ava, and I don't expect us to be together every single day. You have friends to see, school to go to, and you need your alone time. I know we could be even closer, but that comes with time, and we both need to start valuing the time we have together now, more,"

"Okay,"

"We need to go now, come on,"

Once we were in the car, on the main roads, I got their attention. They had been all lovey-dovey and it wasn't what I wanted to watch.

"I have a question,"

"What is it poppet?"

"It is okay if I called Viola my mum? I really love her, and she makes me feel part of her family, and I trust her. I guess if it's too early on... it's okay if you say no,"

"It's up to Viola,"

"Of course you can call me mum. I've always seen you as a daughter,"

"Thankyou,"

"Don't thank me sweetheart. I am so proud to say that you're my daughter,"

I blushed and looked down, smiling to myself. I had two parents now, two proud parents. How did my life switch round and become so amazing?

One day I was in a foster home, the next I was staying with Ashton, who became dad.

And he's still here.

"What are your plans for next week?"

"I'm seeing Julie, and dad and I are making gingerbread, and that's it. I think I'm going over to Michael's on Saturday night,"

"That would be correct," dad grinned, "We see Calum's family on Saturday, and Christmas is on Tuesday!"

"Already?" I mumbled, having no gifts for anyone.

"I know," Viola sighed, "I'm feeling the same bub,"

We pulled up to a strange building, and I wondered why Luke's parents would live here. It didn't look like a home.

"Why is their house all grey?"

"This isn't your house silly, this is where Viola is taking her driving test. If she passes, she can drive on her own,"

"Oh, goodluck,"

They kissed and whispered in the front like kids from school, then she got out and walked into the building.

"Viola is going down to the hospital next Saturday. I've bought her a car for Christmas, and will be giving her the keys on Saturday. Do you have a gift idea for her?"