39

Ava

I woke up later than expected, and to a bunch of missed calls. Marcus had texted and called me loads; I panicked.

Dad was in the kitchen so I went through, putting my phone on the counter. I wanted him to take it and sort it out.

"Ava, I need to speak to you,"

"Marcus won't love me anymore because I missed all his calls and texts," I stressed, "what do I do?"

"Ava," he sung, "I need to talk. It'll be okay,"

"What if he's hurt?"

"He won't be. Sit down,"

I gulped and sat on the island, my legs swinging nervously. Dad passed me a glass of milk and stood in front of me.

"He's not gonna love me," I whimpered, starting to cry, "I need him to be here dad,"

"Can I explain, Ava... please?"

"Okay,"

"Marcus' parents have been talking to me a lot lately, and it's not that they don't love him, but they know that they won't be adopting him,"

"That's really unfair,"

"Listen, okay?"

"Okay,"

"The other night, like we have previously, Viola and I looked at some houses around the area and have found some we are interested in. Me and you are looking round one later,"

"How do they link?"

"Listen you numpty,"

"Over Christmas, Marcus is coming to stay with us. We are going to see if he fits in with us, and then since my adoption license is still open, I can apply to foster him. By then, we will have hopefully secured a house and have a proper place for him to stay,"

"Where will he sleep at Christmas?"

"Well either in your bed, in an air bed in your room, or an air bed in the living room,"

"What about when we stay at grandma's?"

"Well he will be with Harry, because it's important he gets to know them too,"

"This is real?"

"It's real,"

It was overwhelming. My brother, my actual brother was coming at Christmas. He was going to meet the people I love, he was going to listen to me and hug me.

Harry, Lauren, Marcus and I could all watch a film together, or make cookies, or go shopping.

I was finally safe, and I was finally going to see my brother.

"Thankyou so much,"

"Are you excited?"

"I'm so excited, but I don't even know what to do or say,"

"I think that's why he's texting you a lot huh?"

"What if he's mad at me though?"

"Can I tell you something? As an older brother myself, I can get mad at my younger siblings. However, it fizzles away really fast because I love and want to protect they ay? Family is family," he said, "and he isn't mad,"

"You get mad at Harry?"

"Yeah, and sometimes you will get mad at Marcus,"

"Why?"

He shrugged and passed me a bowl so I decided to make porridge, sitting opposite him at the table.

"Tomorrow, we can buy him a Christmas present,"