18

Ashton

We picked Ava up, heading to the supermarket. She was in a really good mood, which meant the day had gone well.

"Viola, you have to give this to your dad," she said, passing her a card. There was a painted heart in the middle, with oil pastels and glitter all over.

"Thankyou," she smiled, "we need to keep that safe at home,"

"Is it okay? Will he like it?"

"He will love it, he loves a bit of glitter,"

"Is that what you did today?" I asked.

"Yeah, Mr Carter sat with me in the back of an art room,"

"You could take that next year,"

"Maybe. I don't know. Is this a big food shop?"

"Yes, and we need to start choosing Christmas snacks. I'll leave you with that job,"

We got out the car, both of them reaching for my hand. I laughed and took them, Viola kissing my cheek.

"Can I push the trolley?" Ava asked, grabbing one and pulling it out.

"You can, no running off though,"

"The only time I run is when Luke makes me,"

I snorted and entered the shop, heading for the first isle.

"I had a good appointment,"

"I'm glad it went well, next time you see Lucy you'll be done for summer,"

"You're more hyped than me,"

"I'm ready for you to have a break,"

"We need snacks for this weekend," she said suddenly, "Please can we?"

"Of course, do you know what he likes?"

"I'm not sure, he said he doesn't usually have those things in his house,"

"Should I be giving it to him then?"

"Yes," she whined, "yes,"

"Okay then, get what you want but don't go overboard,"

As Viola and I filled the trolley with all the essentials and healthy food, Ava kept putting snacks in. She got extremely excited about biscuits, and all the special cakes. It was adorable, and made me so excited for Christmas as it was her first.

I was going to make it so special, and show her how important she was to us all.

"Dad, what are you wearing to pride?"

"Well I was hoping to steal some of your glitter, if that's okay?"

"Yeah," she said, "Did you get nice crisps?"

"I did," I smiled, "but we need healthy food too,"

"I know," she whined.

"That wasn't a dig, it's just something to remember when you choose food yourself. It's good that you now eat a proper sized meal,"

"You've made me sad,"

"Um, Ava," I frowned, "I didn't do anything to make you upset. You've chosen all your snacks,"

"Come on, you've had a good week so far," Viola said, "lets get home,"

"Please can we cook together?"

"We can do, or you could tidy your room a little bit,"

"Okay, ready for this weekend. Are we putting an air bed up?"