74

Ashton

As I went down to make sure Ava was okay with the tea, I saw Viola with a bag of rubbish, heading out to our bins.

"Marcus is going into the basement. Over time, you need to let him have some alone time," I told Ava.

"Yeah, here is the tea,"

Completely dismissing what I had said, she went upstairs, Viola closing the door as she entered. She looked like she had seen a ghost.

"Viola, I would've done that,"

"Is Marcus okay?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I am going to take a bath and get in bed. Please can you just bring me up a sandwich later,"

"Of course, go on. I was just going to start tea,"

"Please don't leave me;"

"Viola , what is going on?" I shushed, "why would you say that?"

"I just... I'm just tired,"

I cupped her cheek in my hand and kissed her, brushing my thumb gently against it.

"Call me if you need anything, rest up for tomorrow because you're taking Ava to town after work- if you can,"

"Yeah, yeah. I love you,"

She went upstairs with her tea and I got to cooking, putting pasta on to cook. I made a bolognese sauce and got dishes out, setting the table as I waited. It was a shame Viola couldn't join us, but whatever news or discovery she had just found out clearly needed processing. I really hoped it wasn't about her dad, though that was what I suspected.

I got Ava her drink and called them to the table, hoping to discuss a few things with them. They came down laughing, sitting at the table with smiles all round.

"What drink would you like?"

"Milk, please,"

"Milk?" Ava exclaimed, "what?"

"Don't judge me," he pouted, laughing slightly, "it's how I roll,"

I got his drink and served up the food, putting it down in our seats. After a couple of minutes, I broke the silence.

"I know it is your first night here, and I don't want to dampen anyone's mood, but can we talk about expectations together?"

"Yeah," Marcus said, "I am really worried about not doing the right thing,"

"Can't we wait," Ava groaned, "I am eating,"

"I don't know who gave you that attitude, but I would like you to drop it please," I said calmly, "If I respect you, you should respect me,"

"But we just moved in!"

"So we should set them now. They're nothing to worry about poppet, I promise,"

"Well what are they like?"

She had put her cutlery down, and her hand was shaking. Properly shaking.

"You know what, we will talk after dinner,"

"Dad," Marcus said quietly, "am I shopping tomorrow as well?"

"You can, or we could go another day. I don't mind,"

"Oh, could we go another day?"

"Probably Wednesday,"

"Okay, yeah,"

"Our weeks can be busy," I smiled, "but you'll get used to it,"

Once we had finished, they cleared the table so that I could make a sandwich for Viola. I took it upstairs and saw her in bed, half asleep. I ran my fingers through her hair to grab her attention and kissed her rosy cheek.