28

Ashton

"Hi, is this Georgia?"

"It is, hello Ashton,"

"Hi, um, I have sort of a weird but important question I guess,"

"Go on,"

"Do you have any history on Ava's family? It takes about her mum getting child benefits for a newborn about two years before Ava was born, which led me to think,"- "that there's a sibling?"

"Yeah,"

"I can't believe the court didn't pick up on that, or me. I was so focused on her oh gosh,"

I could hear her ruffling through files, which had to be a lot, but Ava's previous name had been at the start of the alphabet.

"Here we go. I don't know if this will do any good- hang on,"

Nervously, I took Viola's hand. If this was true, what would happen? Would they want to live with their family? Would they want to live with us? Would they even care?

They'd been split up forever.

"She has an older brother," she said quietly, "called Marcus,"

"Why has she never been put with him?"

"She's always been the opposite side of Australia. He's about an hour away from here Ashton, still in foster care,"

"Am I allowed to visit? Or contact his parents? Should I do that?"

"I think you should talk to Ava, then contact the parents. I can't send anything, but if you come here you can get it,"

"Thankyou, I'll come tomorrow if I get chance. Thank you so much,"

I ended the call and bit my lip, almost wanting to cry. This was her family, and she didn't even know he existed.

"He's still in foster care," Viola said slowly, "not adopted,"

"What the fuck just happened?"

"Stay calm," she soothed, "the system sucks, we need to not get mad about that. We need to see what Ava wants, and act on that,"

"What if he doesn't like her, or us? Or what if she doesn't like us anymore? Or what if it's all a mix up?"

"Shush. She will not do that,"

"I'm sorry,"

"It's okay, it is a big shock, but we need to be rational and act like an adult,"

She kissed me, gently rubbing circles on my hand. It was hard to feel normal, so when my head hit the pillow, and her body hit mine, I fell asleep.

I didn't wake up in the best mood, knowing what was coming and being furious that care system was like that. Seeing Ava all happy, pouring us all a glass of orange juice and hugging us made me feel worse. What if she was mad at me?

"I've got to finish my secret art things today,"

"Well you can go to Grandma's another day this week and finish it, because today is for you and Lauren,"

"Oh yeah, okay,"

We all got cereal and sat down, her legs swinging back and forth.

"Dad, I woke up zero times,"

"That's amazing, that's so good. I'm really proud,"

"We do need to leave fairly soon, so do you want to get ready after you've finished?" Viola said.

"Yeah. I've decided what colour I'm having on my braces,"

"What colour?"

"Purple and light purple. Dark on the top, and light on the bottom,"

"You can have it alternating,"

"No thanks,"

"That sounds great," I nodded, "we do need to go really soon though,"

We all went separate ways to get ready, trying to split bathroom time equally.

We dropped Ava off at my mum's then headed to work, Viola doing makeup in the car.

"I love your flat, but I think a house would be better,"

"Well we have been over this,"

"I've booked us in to look round a place soon,"

I loved the flat, but I was starting to want a house. With Viola getting a car soon, and the possibility of another person, we needed more room. It was a very, very small possibility right now, but a three bedroom house with two bathrooms would do the trick, even without a fourth person.

"Yeah, I guess it's all changed now- it's not our main focus,"

"Let's see where it goes. We may need another bedroom anyway,"

"Don't get too ahead of yourself, that's all I'm saying,"

We got to work early because I needed to tell the guys; I called them all to my exam room.

"I'm just gonna spit this out. I was checking over Ava's parents to tell her about them, and I found out she has a brother. He is in a foster home about in hour away,"

"Oh my...," Calum said.

"We are telling her tonight, but what if it changes everything,"

"It will change everything Ash, but it doesn't have to be in a bad way," Michael said, "contact the parents, see if you can meet up. He's a foster child, which means you could adopt him if they are willing to let you,"

"He could also be in a really good home," Luke said, "and may want to stay, and see Ava every so often,"

"Take whatever happens with maturity and an open mind," Michael said, giving me a hug, "it's big, but sounds like it could be positive,"

"She won't love you less either," Calum said before I could speak, "and even if you feel like she's suddenly pushed you aside, just think about how if you'd never known your parents, and had been to such abusive places then found Harry or Lauren. You'd want to protect them like he will protect her, and you'd want to stay with them. This is a blood relative, and she will find it so special,"

"Thankyou, it just shocked me,"

"I don't blame you," Luke said, "I think we can miss the workout,"

"Sounds like a plan. Can you text her please?"

He nodded and the two of them left, Cal patting my back.

"It will probably be an emotional ride, but let's be positive. What is he called?"

"Marcus, he's 15 turning 16 soon."

"If you need anything, talk to me,"

"It's a lot to take in, really, and I'm not even Ava. Could I maybe call my mum?"

"Of course, Ashley is having x-rays,"

I stepped into our office and rang her, knowing she'd be driving.

"Ash, I just said goodbye to Ava," she laughed.

"Good. I need to make this short because I have a patient, but last night I found out Ava has a brother. He is in a foster home, and I haven't told her yet, but it's a lot,"

"Oh, wow, okay. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm overthinking how things will turn out, but I will contact his foster family,"

"You need a bigger home,"

"We want to move at some point, if he likes with us. He's almost 16, called Marcus,"

"I think she will be happy. Don't stress. Whatever happens, I will love you and them, and support you,"

"I love you mum,"

"I love you too. I know what you're like Ash, just don't stress,"