84

Ashton

"Come in, come in- I'm Emma, I'll be in charge of your whole journey,"

She was an older woman, with a kind face, and clearly made Viola comfortable. She would be our midwife, so that was good.

"Viola ," she smiled, "and?"

"Ashton,"

"Alright. I'm going to start off with a few questions if that's okay?"

"Yeah," she said, holding my hand, "that's okay,"

"What is the living environment like? Any kids, partner, issues with things like dampness that could affect your health?"

"Ash is my boyfriend, and the dad, and we have one adopted kid, and one who is being fostered- oh, and two dogs,"

"That's lovely. Have they settled okay?"

"The best they can," I smiled.

"And we just moved house, so as far as we are aware, there are no problems,"

"Great! That's great. Do you smoke, or drink, or take any drugs?"

"Nope, I only drink on a rare special occasions,"

"Don't we all,"

The friendliness put me at ease as well, and knowing our kid was in her hands was a relief. Knowing Viola was in her hands was a relief.

"Have you had any mental health issues, or physical issues that needed treatment before?"

"After... after my last boyfriend, I did go to therapy, but I feel really strong now. I don't take medication,"

"I'm glad you're feeling better. Are there any stresses though? Because we don't want things we can offer help with to take a toll on you,"

I rubbed my thumb on her knuckles, then placed a kiss on her cheek as she looked down.

"Would you rather Ashton explain?"

"Yeah,"

"She has had a miscarriage before, without knowing she was even pregnant, so she is worried about how this one will go. Her dad is also in hospital, and he is the only family member on her side that she talks to,"

"Oh, I am sorry. You can claim access to mental health services if you wish, and I recommend them to all of my patients if they need a little encouragement to go. Ashton, does your family support her?"

"All the way. My mum and siblings adore her, but my best friend's mum is also a really big help. So are my friends actually, and our boss at work. I wouldn't say we are short of people ay?"

"No," she chuckled, "too many to count,"

"And what is your job?"

"I'm an orthodontist,"

"Ah, so this type of setting isn't too unsettling,"

"No,"

"I think they're all the questions for now, but if you have any for me then go ahead. I'm an open book,"

"Yeah, actually. I've been getting a lot of bad nausea, and bad pain in my lower back. I'm also really tired all of the time, and I can't relieve it at all,"

"Alright. The nausea is unfortunately your body getting used to these changes, and I recommend you set a routine to make sure you get good sleep and good food. It might help with exhaustion as well,"

"How much sleep should I get?"

"Eight to ten hours. Keep moving in the day too, because that will help your pain in your pelvis. Each time you have a new patient, stand up and take a walk to get some water, or step outside for a bit,"

"Is there much I can do you help the back pain?"

"It's stemming from the pelvis, and can go up the back and down the legs. It may feel tingly, and it can hurt, but we provide crutches later on it you need it. Have baths to take the weight off the joint, and go upstairs backwards on your bum. Sleep with a pillow between your legs, but just make sure you range from sat down to stood up,"

She explained the food we can't eat, and the exercise we should do, but it seemed we had the hang of it. She recommended a water birth in hospital, because the weight would be off the joints and Viola could get the medication, as well as booking us for an ultrasound in a few weeks.

"There are just a couple of bits to do now. Is it okay if I take your height and weight?"

She looked at me and her cheeks went red, Emma noticing straight away.

"It's okay. You put on weight in pregnancy, and it's only to make sure that throughout the pregnancy your body is gaining enough weight to keep you both going,"

She measured them both, then gave her a tube to pee in. Once she was back, she had her blood pressure taken- which she really didn't like- as well as a blood test. However, she handled it like a champ.

"Here are my contacts, I am generally available for any calls. I will see you soon for your first ulstrasound,"

"Thankyou,"

We took our maternity notes and package, then left and picked up Ava and Marcus. They both looked refreshed and happy, so I sent them down to the car.

"All good?"

"He is still a bit sensitive, but I have looked and there are no problems. The pair are chatterboxes together,"

"Talk about it," I smiled, "thankyou so much. The appointment went well,"

"Great. I'll see you on Monday, around midday? We have an appointment at 1, and an emergency one with Toby at 2,"

"Bless, I will see him tomorrow if he needs,"

"They're out of town. Anyway, go, go, go,"

I laughed and waved, getting back in the car and taking us home.

"Remember I am checking your rooms tomorrow,"

"What about next Sunday?" Ava asked.

"Tomorrow,"

At home, Marcus kindly helped me make a lunch for everyone, consisting of a sandwich with ham and lettuce for Ava, and a sandwich and salad for the rest of us. I wasn't in the mood to argue.

"Did it go well?"

"Our midwife is great, and has given us lots of advice. If you see mum walking or going upstairs differently, just don't bring it up,"

"Yeah, yeah, that's okay. Can I help decorate the baby's room?"

"That would be amazing,"

"Dad, where is my salad? Marcus has it, I want it,"

I literally had to stop myself from jumping out of excitement, because Marcus was healthy voluntarily, and I just wanted Ava to be as well.

"I'm sorry, get your self some,"

"Can I eat in my room?"

"And when have you ever been able to do that?" I said, "sit with mum,"

I sat with Marcus on the other sofa, keeping an eye on how he ate. It seemed to be causing him more pain than before.

"I'll get you some medicine bud, okay?"

"Can we watch a film in the basement together?"

"I can't see why not,"

"And mum,"

"What about your little sister," I said quietly, frowning when he shrugged.

"All she spoke about yesterday was how excited she was to see Harry at school,"

"She's just trying to get excited for the positives. You were fine with the thought of school over Christmas, so what has changed?"

"No one has ever had high expectations for me,"