58

Ashton

I spent the night in Ava's bed, her and Marcus in mine, and woke up to a gentle prod on my arm.

"Why is Ava up doing a cooking frenzy?" Marcus asked, tiredness clear in his voice.

"She likes to do that if she's upset someone, or I'm guessing because you're a guest,"

"She's on FaceTime,"

"That'll be Cal, go and say hi if you want,"

He bounded out the room and I stretched out, hearing the clattering of pots. It was Christmas Eve, and I didn't want Ava working all day.

"Ava!" I called, hearing a grunt but no movement, making me get up. I dodged the minefield of socks and art supplies, sighing to myself as I looked around. No matter how hard I tried, she wouldn't tidy up, and I was going to have to punish her I she didn't start in the new year.

If never really done that before, and she'd taken advantage of it.

"Ava, you don't need to cook breakfast, ever,"

"But I wanted to for Marcus,"

"And that's nice, it is poppet, but you can't keep getting up early to clatter about the kitchen when I don't know if you're being safe. Do you understand?"

"No," she frowned.

"Its really kind of you to make breakfast, but when I'm not here with you, I feel really worried. You need sleep poppet, you need a lot of it, and right now you don't get that because you keep making breakfast,"

"Why do I need lots of sleep?"

"When you're tired, you can get a bit frustrated with your mind, can't you?"

Marcus took the egg from the hob before it burnt and got plates out, not minding that we stepped away. She looked really hurt, and lost.

"Tell me what you're feeling love,"

"I'm confused. I thought making breakfast was nice, and I expected you to be happy, but you're not and now a nice action has made you angry,"

"I'm not angry at you, Ava, I'm just advising you to not do this. Making breakfast is nice, but not when it's early and you should be sleeping. I am grateful, and I'm sure it's yummy, but I don't want you draining yourself,"

"Okay,"

"Do you want to get some drinks? And decide what you want to do today ,"

"Like?"

"We could try the cinema again, or look at some shops, or just stay in,"

"Could I practise my handwriting?"

"I'm gonna say no today, because it's Christmas Eve,"

"It's what?"

"The day before Christmas Day. I want to do something fun as a family,"

Slowly, I wrapped my arms round her, kissing her head.

"Where are the glasses?" Marcus asked, Ava immediately breaking the hug to show him. I served up breakfast and put it down, Ava starting to breathe really fast. She was rushing around, hot and bothered.

"You need to take your medicine love, use your inhaler,"

"Dad,"

"What's this all about? Sit and have your medicine, I'll help Marcus out,"

I got the cutlery out and put it down, passing her a glass of water. I got a scrunchie from her room and carefully tied her hair up into a bun, rubbing her shoulders.