54

Ashton

Since I'd worked all week, Ava was with my mum. She had no therapy until after the holiday, which would hit hard, but we would get through it.

Calum had followed us, wanting to see my family.

"Hello," I called out, holding the door for the other two, "you have visitors,"

"Don't come in the living room," Ava shouted, very firmly.

"Not even Calum?"

"Calum can come in,"

He stuck his tongue out at me and went in, Harry coming downstairs with a smile.

"Ash,"

"How are you doing?"

"Good. All my presents are wrapped, and tomorrow we are putting up a tree,"

"That'll be fun then,"

Harry and Viola hadn't has a chance to build a relationship at all, and were practically strangers, so it didn't surprise me when he stuck by my side.

"She doesn't bite,"

"I know,"

"We've got to go on holiday together," she teased, giving him a hug.

"Aren't you spending Christmas with us?"

"No, I'm going to visit my dad,"

"Oh,"

"Dad, why is Calum smiling so much?" Ava asked, walking out the living room.

"Because there's a new dentist, and he is head over heels,"

"There's a girl dentist?"

"Yeah. Are you ready to go?"

She nodded and hugged Harry, then mum who had just walked out the living room.

"I'm gonna stay for a bit," Calum said, "but I'll see you all tomorrow,"

When we got in the car, Ava picked up the box for Viola. I shook my head and she sulked, plonking it backdown. It made me happy that she found so much excitement in giving others gifts, and I hoped everyone reacted the way she wanted.

"I might take my car for a quick drive, just to get used to it," Viola said, "if that's okay,"

"Of course. Ava and I will cook, but I think she wants you to open your gifts first,"

I parked the car and Ava undid her seatbelt, moving to the middle seat where she could see. I'd filled the box with chocolate, some films and cds as well as photos of us.

Then, she opened the fluffy socks from Ava.

"They're from me! Do you like them?" Ava exclaimed, making me shush her.

"You can't do that after someone's opened a present poppet, let them have their moment,"

"I do like them sweetheart, and they're perfect because my feet are always cold,"