87

Ava

"How was today?" grandma asked.

"Good," Harry smiled, "I have good classes,"

"Good for me too," I exclaimed.

"And me," Marcus said quietly, plugging his music in. This morning, he had been grumpy, and I didn't like it. All I had seen of him was happiness, so I thought he could only be happy.

When we got home, I put my bag in the hallway and went to the kitchen for a drink; Harry went into the living room and called me through.

Contently, I picked up a coaster and went through, setting my drink on the coffee table.

"Is that a smile I see?" Dad teased, surprising me, "Two?"

"You scared me,"

"Sorry," he laughed, opening his arms for me, "what did you do today?"

"I'm sat with Owen in maths, and Sam in biology! And I ate lunch with Sam, and he was so kind to me,"

"Well he always has been, hasn't he?"

"Yeah, but it's still weird because he chose to be my friend,"

"I didn't get into trouble," Marcus said quietly, "I think I really made a good impression,"

"Good. That's something to keep up ay?"

"Why wouldn't you make a good impression?" I asked.

I saw Marcus as someone to look up to- like dad. He would always do good, and he always made me feel calm- why would he not make others feel happy?

He told me he was a good student, he respected mum and dad, and had friends. Also, he had looked after younger kids, and was so calm over Christmas.

"Changing schools can be really difficult for Marcus, and sometimes he gets overwhelmed and takes that out on the teachers. A bit like you get stressed over work load, so does he," dad explained.

"Oh,"

"I'm not a bad person," he stressed, dad shushing him and bringing him in for a hug the other side.

"You're not, you just need some support,"

"Why are you home?" I asked, "and grandma, is Harry going with Jordan tomorrow?"

"He is,"

"Can I go with Sam?"

"You can, as long as you organise it. Also, I clocked out early to see you,"

I snuggled into his chest, smiling to myself. Today had been good.

For a school day, especially the first day of school, I felt pretty happy. My lessons had gone really well, and my friends were happy to see me.

I didn't speak to Julie, upsetting me a little, but I had other things to think about. She would probably just say sorry, and it would all be okay, because if mum and dad ever had a disagreement then they would.

"Shall we go home and see mum?"

"But I wanted to see grandma,"

"Can Marcus and I go home, and I'll get you later?"

"I'll drop her off on the way to work, Ash. I'm sure Viola doesn't want to be alone,"

"Neither does the baby," I giggled, "I bet they're lonely without our cuddles,"

"Baby?" grandma said slowly.

"Oops,"

"Well it was supposed to be a secret you numpty, but Viola is pregnant,"