86

Ashton

"Marcus, you've gotta wake up now,"

He groaned and hid under his duvet again.

"Come on, I don't want to rush on your first day. Mum made you breakfast,"

I left the room and checked on Ava, who was doing her hair in her mirror.

"You look nice poppet, are they new clothes?"

"Yeah,"

She wore a pair of blue jeans, and a pale pink top which was tucked in and held together with a belt. Also, she had a ring and a necklace on, in an attempt to make up for her earrings.

As she was maturing, she realised that her earrings weren't the biggest issue right now, and had really respected the focus I put on Viola.

However, I could tell she was nervous.

"Do I look okay without makeup?"

"You look beautiful. Can I take a photo?"

"Okay,"

She stood and smiled for the photo, then it dropped and she hugged me. I rubbed her back, trying to release all the tension she had built up.

"You are going to do amazing this school year. I know you will try your best, and that may vary, but you're a good student,"

"I am?"

"You are, and I am really proud of you. All the boys messaged me to tell you to have a good day,"

"Is Marcus up?"

"Go and see. He might need to see his sister to wake up a little,"

She went out of the room and I went downstairs, getting her medicine for her. Marcus had slumped his way down and was eating breakfast, while Viola was getting dressed.

Since he was downstairs, Ava also came down, and took the tablets I gave her. Her backpack was by the door, and because she had nothing else to do, I let her make her lunch with me.

"Marcus, we have to leave in about ten minutes. Can you try to be ready?"

"Yeah,"

He put his empty plate in the dishwasher and went upstairs, while Ava filled her water bottle and packed up her bag.

"Summer is over," she frowned, "when is our next holiday?"

"February, so you're okay," 

"Dad," she trembled, starting to do the deep breaths Luke said.

"That's the right thing to do ay?" I said, wrapping my arms around her, "and you have so much support in school,"

She started to sob ever so quietly, Marcus coming back down with his school bag.

"You don't need to cry," he said softly, opposite to the tension he previously had, "You are going to do so well this year,"

"Are we leaving now?"

"Mum is just brushing her teeth and stuff, so we will wait for her and say goodbye,"

"I feel really sick,"

"You'll be okay,"

She shook her head, starting to cry again, prompting me to crouch down to her level.

"Cheer up. You've got to go in and give it your best shot, and I will be proud of whatever you can do,"

"I don't want to go,"