82

Ava

"You're home," I said, running up to Marcus when he came inside, "mum and I have made food,"

"It smells delicious,"

"Fish, chips and peas- I'm not having peas, and mum is having sausage instead,"

"Well I think you should have peas. I'm having them,"

"Okay, if you have them," I smiled, taking a bag and opening it, "you got a backpack too,"

"You're a chatterbox today poppet," dad said, ruffling my hair as he walked in, "you and mum cooked?"

"Yes,"

"Brilliant. Could you please set the table while we unload the shopping?"

I nodded and put out the placemats and cutlery. I had made an effort to learn what everyone drank at tea, so I made mum blackcurrant juice, dad and I orange juice, and Marcus milk.

Then, I put food out for the dogs, who happily jumped onto my leg.

"Mum, I want peas,"

"Good choice,"

"You got me milk," Marcus laughed, "that's cute,"

He hugged me, pushing us both on the floor and making us laugh. I looked up at him and he pouted, then squeezed me tightly.

"How are you feeling?"

"Well Julie replied to me, and said she wanted a break, so I waited an hour and messaged again, but now when I try to message her it says it's failed, so I think my phone is broken,"

"Oh, Ava," he said softly, "you didn't tell mum or dad?"

"Well I gave her a break,"

"She didn't mean a break from messaging love, she meant a break from the relationship. I think she might've blocked you,"

"But I didn't cheat on her,"

"Maybe she has something going on in her personal life,"

"What are you two nattering about?" Dad said, pulling us both up.

"Julie asked for a break, but I got the wrong impression and she blocked me,"

"Oh... okay, well... does that upset you?"

"Yes," I said, biting my wobbling lip. I didn't want her to make me so upset.

"It's normal to be,"

"Well she hasn't talked to me much, so it's not too different,"

"Did she explain why?" he asked, tucking my hair behind me ear.

"I will ask her at school,"

"I'll give you lots of cuddles after tea,"

I sat down next to Marcus and forced my way through my peas. Then, dad let me have ketchup and I ate my fish and chips. It tasted really good.

"So tomorrow, are you two okay with coming down to our office? Ava, you are watching Cal have his appointment then he will take you to Lucy, then both to his,"

"Marcus, you are doing facemasks with us,"

"Only if he wants," dad reminded.

"I'll do it,"

"He wants to," I said, mum laughing lightly.

"This tea was really nice, thankyou for helping me cook Ava,"

"It was, we are gonna go and talk okay?" dad said, holding his hand out. I took it and we went to my bedroom, where I laid on his chest.

"Now, can I read the messages?"