59

Ashton

"Merry Christmas," I said quietly, trying to wake the pair up. Ava reached our and wrapped her arms round my neck, while Marcus grumbled and rolled over.

"Can we have pancakes for breakfast?"

"With fruit, yes," I whispered, kissing her head, "Come on Marcus,"

He yawned and sat up, Ava clinging onto me at she got out of bed.

"I'm taking some photos, so if you want to brush your hair then you can,"

"No," she hummed, putting it up in a bun then going to the bathroom. Chuckling to myself, I nudged the exhausted Marcus one last time to get him up.

"You're not a morning person,"

"Is anyone?"

"Yes, Marcus, everyone else in this house,"

"Ava definitely isn't,"

"She's starting to be,"

With one last stretch, he stood up, waiting with me for Ava. He was biting his fingernails, and I pushed his hand away.

"Sorry,"

"For what ?" Ava said, bouncing out of the bathroom.

"Nothing," I smiled, "Go on,"

She opened the door and flipped in the lights, a small squeal of delight leaving her lips.

"The wrapping paper is so pretty," she admired, the black paper covered in silver trees.

"Your pile is on the end of the sofa poppet, Marcus' is the one but the door,"

"I have presents?"

"Of course,"

He had a present from my family and friends, Ava just had a few more from her friends.

"Dad, your pile is small," Ava frowned.

"That's okay. Michael gave us some spending money for the holiday, and Luke is helping us with some decorations at the new house. When you're old like me, you don't need much."

"I don't need this much!"

"I'm sure you'll enjoy it though," Marcus smiled.

"Dad, what did you get me?"

"Why don't you open it and see?" I chuckled. She took the presents with my handwriting on and daintily ripped the paper off, the first one revealing some new makeup brushes.

"Thankyou! Your turn,"

"Marcus, then me,"

"Open the one from me," Ava said, passing it to him. She giggling excitedly as he opened it, his eyes widening.

"Wow, thankyou Ava, this is really nice aftershave,"

"Do you like it?"

"I do, perhaps I could get a girlfriend with this,"

I laughed, and Ava just looked confused, but happy anyway. I opened the present from Cal, a new hoodie and jokingly some new scrubs. They had my name stitched in, as well as a little elephant design, which I was sure the kids would love.

"I like that hoodie," Ava said.

"Well it's mine, not even Viola gets it, because it's special,"

I made her open all the presents from me at once, which included a lot of little things. I got her some cookies, a couple of nice dresses, new colouring pencils, two books and some makeup things.