17 (Colby's POV)

Chloe was awake. That's all I could think about. She was awake and she was okay.

She even had a memory come back to her. It wasn't much, just the one little one of Kat, but it was a start. Maybe I wouldn't even have to do this damn ritual.

The one we just did was weird enough, and I didn't even have to almost kill myself or dig around in her brain. Sam and I took my car this time, to take the witch home.

I mean Melanie.

"Can you stop? That's annoying."

I glanced in the rearview at the girl in the back seat. "What?" I asked, scowling at her.

"Tapping your finger on the steering wheel. If you aren't going to play any music, at least stop doing that."

I hadn't realized that I was doing it, but yep, my thumb was rapping against the steering wheel non stop. Couldn't help it. I was anxious.

Anxious to get this feeding over with, and get back home to Chloe. An awake Chloe. One that I could hug and she could hug me back.

One that I could see laughing again, the flush coming into her pale cheeks. I growled and pressed the accelerator down harder. Damn car wasn't going fast enough.

"Easy man. She's not going anywhere." Sam said quietly, glancing at me.

I didn't reply, but I wasn't surprised that he knew what I was thinking. I pushed my little Corolla as fast as it could go, keeping the lights off, and my eyes and ears open for the cops. Wouldn't do well for them to try and pull me over tonight.

I needed to get back home. Like now. It wasn't long before we pulled into the wide trail inside the forest.

I stopped the car, and we got out to walk the rest of the way.

"Can you like, pick up the speed?" I asked Melanie, bouncing on the heels of my feet as I waited for her to catch up to Sam and I.

She pointed at herself.

"Human, remember? I can only go so fast, and I'm not running."

I sighed and tried to walk as slow as possible. It really wasn't working for me.

"Oh fuck this." I exclaimed, turning back, and grabbing her.

She yelped but I ignored it, throwing her over my shoulder, and running towards the cabin as fast as I could. When I stopped, Sam flew up right beside me.

"Maybe a quick warning next time?" He said, raising his eyebrows at me.

I shrugged.

"I said fuck this."

He rolled his eyes and chuckled. I dropped Melanie to her feet, where she blew her hair out of her face and glared at me. Didn't care.

Only wanted this to be done so that I could go home.

"Okay, where are we doing this?"

She pointed to the other side of the cabin where there was a smaller cabin behind some trees. "In there. I'll invite you in. There will also be someone in there to...monitor...that everything goes according to plan."

I raised my eyebrow at her. "You mean to make sure that we don't kill you?"

She nodded, but almost looked embarrassed. "Yeah..."

"Smart." I replied. "But unnecessary. Your blood is going to make us sick. It won't be appealing enough to kill you. Let's go."

We got to the cabin, basically the same as the other one, except smaller.

We stopped at the door as Melanie walked inside.

"I'm inviting you inside. You can come in."

We stepped over the threshold and watched as she took a seat on a small loveseat. There was another witch already sitting in an old orange and brown flowered chair that was in the corner of the living room area. Sam and I didn't speak, but I could tell that he felt as uncomfortable as I did in this situation.

"Well, are we doing this or what? You were so anxious to get it over with." The little witch said, smirking at me.

I wasn't sure if I liked her attitude or if I was starting to hate her. Sam and I made our way over to the loveseat as she moved over to the middle of it. We each took a seat on opposite sides of her.

Well, wasn't this cozy. We were squished together on the old sofa, and I tried to reposition myself, only causing my legs to push against hers more. She lay her head back against the loveseat, moving her hair out of the way, exposing both sides of her throat.

My stomach clenched but not in a good way. Sam and I exchanged a glance and then, leaned towards her, our fangs coming out. She gasped as we pierced her skin, but it soon turned to moans, letting us know that the euphoria was setting in.

Not so much for us, at least not for me. I assumed that Sam was feeling the same as me. Her blood wasn't disgusting, it just wasn't Chloe's.

Even though there was something in it that vaguely reminded me of her, it still wasn't agreeing with me at all. I yanked away from her, careful not to tear her skin as I felt my stomach heave. It took me a minute to regain composure and by the time I leaned in for more, Sam was retching on the other side of her.

This wasn't anything like the fun evenings we had, before the girls, when we used to share our meals. After what felt like forever, and a lot of stomach cramps and heaving, Melanie's pulse slowed way down and she became unresponsive. Sam and I retracted for the final time, and then we both bit our wrists.

The other witch came behind Melanie and tilted her mouth open so that we could drip our blood into her mouth. When we were finished, we stood up, and faced the unknown witch.

"Can we go now? Are we finished?" I asked eagerly, ready to get home.

I felt like shit, and knew as soon as I got outside I was going to force every bit of her blood back out of my system. It felt dirty and wrong for it to be inside of me.

"Yes, you can go. Thank you for what you've done. The witches will be available to your clan from now on, as long as we are still civil." She nodded at us, and then started tending to Melanie's neck.