85

I looked around the room, noticing a large circle in the middle, surrounded by candles, a mixture of colors.

"Uh, I'm not going to be doing any dark magic. You know that right?"

She giggled. "Yes Chloe, I know that, and I wouldn't ask you to do anything you're uncomfortable with. We're just concentrating on controlling and focusing your powers today. Maybe you'll even be able to take off the amulet soon." She smiled and gestured towards my necklace.

My hand came up circling around it. This thing brought me comfort now, so I wasn't sure that I was ready to take it off for good.

I let go of Colby's hand and gestured towards the circle.

"So where do we start?"

"First, I need Colby to go sit over on the couch." She pointed to a small loveseat in the corner of the room.

I hadn't even noticed it before.

"You good?" He asked, standing in front of me.

I nodded.

"Yeah. Nervous but okay. Don't stare at me." I replied sheepishly.

He smirked a little and brushed the hair back from my forehead.

"I can't promise that. I love you."

"And I love you." I replied, leaning up to press my lips to his for a second.

He kissed me back, then turned to walk towards the couch. I watched him until he sat down, and waved at me, then blew a kiss. I rolled my eyes and smiled, before turning back to Melanie.

She had a little smile on her face, watching us. She held her hand out to me to take.

"Come stand over here next to me." I took her hand, feeling a little weird, and stood close to her. "Okay, now close your eyes and concentrate."

She had already closed her eyes holding her other hand out to the side of her body, palm up.

"Um, on what?" I asked.

This just felt too damn weird.

She cracked her eyes open and laughed lightly.

"Okay, maybe we'll talk first, yeah?"

I smiled at her gratefully, cuz I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing. I followed her to the loveseat where Colby was sitting. She sat on the end which left me in the middle, in between them both.

It was a snug fit, so I scooted to the edge of the cushion to make more room.

Melanie turned towards me, bringing one leg up onto the couch.

"Okay Chloe, you are a natural witch. I've already told you this. Your gift was inherited, so it's already more powerful than a witch of my caliber. You are already able to use your empathic powers, and they should actually progress over time."

"They already have." I muttered, looking down and twirling the rings on my fingers.

"Really?" She asked, her eyes widening. "That's impressive. It shouldn't be happening so fast. Of course, your powers shouldn't be as strong as they are either, but I just assumed that...hmmm." She tapped her chin with her pointer finger, staring at me with her brows knitted together, before flicking her eyes to Colby then back to me.

It was making me want to squirm.

"What?" I asked, my voice coming out ruder than I intended.

"I'm sorry. I was just wondering if you have continued to drink Colby's blood?"

I blushed, looking over to Colby. He nodded at me gently, but kept his eyes on Melanie.

I looked back over to her and nodded.

"Yeah. I've needed to heal a couple of times."

"Well, your powers amplified after you woke up. You were fed his blood while in a coma and during the ritual. I'm beginning to think that isn't a coincidence."

I looked down again, trying to sort through all of this, then looked back to up to meet her gaze. "His blood is making my powers stronger?"

She shrugged. "Maybe. I feel something different about you this time. I can't tell if it's because you've grown stronger or something else. You don't feel...quite the same."

I couldn't help it.

I was getting annoyed and impatient.

"What does that even mean?"

She smiled and held out her hand. "Take my hand. I want to see something."

I hesitated for a second, looking at her open palm but then sighed and placed my own inside of hers. She gripped it tightly then closed her eyes, chanting something under her breath. I glanced back at Colby, to see him watching her, his face intent while he chewed the corner of his bottom lip.

I wanted to ask what she was saying but didn't want to mess up whatever was happening. I felt something, starting in our joined hands, like a thin stream of warmth. I don't know how to explain it other than that.

It started in my hand, then shot straight to my chest, to my heart.

"Oh!" I gasped, trying to pull my hand back, but she gripped tighter, not allowing me to.

I started to yank it away but then, "Just wait." Colby muttered softly.

So I waited. The feeling in my chest grew to an almost burning sensation, but I gritted my teeth, trusting that Colby knew what he was talking about and she wasn't trying to kill me.

I didn't really get that vibe from her but she was a dark arts witch so who really knows? Eventually, she let my hand go, pulling back from me slowly. The feeling dissipated and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Well?" Colby asked impatiently.

"Well what?" I responded.

He shook his head, and kept staring at Melanie.

"Well...Chloe, you've...evolved into..."

"Into what? What are you talking about?"

She was really starting to annoy me right now.

"Into I don't really know what." She sighed, blinking at me.

"Huh?"

"A hybrid, of sorts, I suppose. I've never seen it before. Hell, I've barely heard of it. Just once in one of our old books. It's said that a hybrid witch will rise and lead us all to a better life. No one has ever really known what that meant, so we always thought it was just folk lore. Guess we should've known better. Everything is real."