83

I didn't have time to think, much less scream. Devyn's teeth sunk into my neck, as her hand clamped down over my mouth. I struggled at first, it just felt wrong...but then the euphoria set in and I didn't care anymore.

I stopped struggling, and Devyn tore her mouth away from my neck.

"I'm so sorry Chloe. I won't take much, I swear. You just taste so fucking good." She bit into me again, taking even more.

I felt my consciousness ebbing, dark shadows starting to cloud my vision. I only had one chance at this. Apparently, a vampire wasn't always going to be there to save me.

What the fuck was taking them so long to get in here?? They had to hear it! It took every ounce of strength that I had, knowing that I might actually die if I didn't stop her.

The thing is that I was more worried about the effect that would have on her psyche than on me personally. I lifted my arm, straining with how heavy it felt, and lay my hand on her arm.

"Dev." I whispered, unable to make my voice any higher.

I was losing energy so I wasn't sure this was going to work at all but it was my only shot. Or so I thought. Colby burst into the room then, followed closely by Corey.

His eyes zeroed in on me, and he shot across the room, grabbing the back of Devyn's head, a fistful of hair wrapped around his fist.

"Let her go Devyn. NOW. Don't make me hurt you."

"Devyn, baby, you don't wanna do this. If you kill Chloe, you'll never forgive yourself. Let her go baby. It'll be okay."

Devyn whimpered against my throat, and gently pulled back, retracting her fangs. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I couldn't stop." She cried, letting me go completely.

Colby snatched me up and away from her, stopping at the door. Corey sat down and pulled her into his arms, letting her cry it out.

"S'okay." I mumbled, trying to clear my head.

The euphoria was kicking my ass, and Dev had taken a LOT of blood. Colby looked down at me, his brows knitting together with worry.

"Shit." He cursed harshly, before bringing his wrist to his mouth and biting down.

He pressed the open wound to my lips.

"Drink." He demanded.

I did as I was told, and suctioned my lips around his wrist, tasting his blood on my tongue. Wasn't really making me nauseous this time. Was kind of good really.

"You know, you drink my blood more than I drink yours so who's the real vamp here?" He asked jokingly, as he looked down at me.

I met his gaze, seeing that he was trying to not let on how worried he actually was. I wanted to console him, but I couldn't seem to stop what I was doing. I felt energy and warmth flooding my depleted veins.

My strength was coming back fast. Faster than it ever had before, and my mind was clearing. I was starting to feel like I had been with the Council, only not angry.

It was weird. Colby pulled his wrist back from me gently, and I whimpered a little, not ready to stop. He chuckled lightly, holding his arm up.

My eyes caught the drip that was trailing down his wrist, and followed it down to the crook of his arm.

Why did I really just wanna lean over and lick that off? I have been around vampires way too much. I shook my head, trying to clear it.

"You okay?" Colby asked gruffly.

I met his eyes, and nodded.

"Yeah, I think so. Much better now that you finally showed up."

He set me down on my feet.

"We had the music blasting Chloe. I didn't think you were going to come in here. I told you to stay away!" Anger coated his voice more with every word that left his mouth.

"I heard her Colby. She was in pain. I couldn't stand it!" I said defensively.

I knew this was my fault though.

"Chloe, Chloe I'm so sorry!" Devyn's voice rang out to me and I looked over to her.

Her face was screwed up, like she wanted to cry and just couldn't.

"I couldn't control it. It was just too powerful and then when you stepped inside, it got even worse. I really didn't wanna hurt you, I didn't lie. I wanted your help. I just couldn't stop it! You smell so fucking good!"

Colby stiffened next to me at her words but didn't say anything.

"It was my fault. I shouldn't have came inside. I knew that. I can be stupid sometimes."

Colby scoffed under his breath but I ignored him. I would admit to it this time.

"I understand Dev. No worries. You didn't kill me. I'm stronger than I look." She smiled a little, but I could tell the grief was eating her up. "How about I help you now? With the guys in here."

She shook her head hard. "No, stay over there. I can't deal with your scent. I just can't!" She gripped Corey's arms, and put her face back down against his chest.

He looked over to me, his eyes full of pain for her. I looked up to meet Colby's gaze again.

He tilted his head at me for a second, then sighed, his shoulders going slack with defeat.

"Fine, but stay right next to me."

I nodded, and took his hand. We walked over towards Corey and Dev. Corey wrapped his arms around Devyn as tight as he could, squeezing so that she couldn't move.

I don't think she was even trying to fight him though. She hadn't even noticed that we had gotten closer yet. I reached out and lay my hand on her arm.

Only then did her eyes shoot up to mine, growing black as they did. She snarled at me, but Corey held her tight as she struggled. Fear was clawing at the back of my throat, but I gripped Colby's hand for strength and closed my eyes against the scene in front of me.

I concentrated. That's all I knew to do. I found my happy place, my calm and serenity inside my head, thankful at that moment that I had a good imagination, and I went there.