69 (Colby's POV)

Her eyes were sad and thoughtful as she looked at me. That was never good.

It's like she was sad because she knew I wouldn't be making it back to Chloe.

"If it were to come to that, we would have to take her memories. You already know that though. I'm sure that you already know that she would eventually end up taking her own life, just to get rid of the emptiness."

I felt a white hot knife slice through my chest at the thought of Chloe doing something like that. I wouldn't let it happen. No way in Hell.

I couldn't stop the snarl that ripped from my mouth as I felt myself change, fangs shooting out so fast, they clipped my bottom lip. I knew it was coming before it did. The guards hit me at full force, two of them, one on each side, slamming my back against the concrete floor.

I felt the air whoosh out of my body, and possibly some bones cracking in my back. The back of my head bounced off of the ground, and I felt my skull crack. It dazed me for a minute, pain searing through my brain, so I just lie there.

I didn't intend on fighting back anyways, even though everything in me was straining to go full vamp and take them all out. Every last one of them.

How dare they even suggest that Chloe wouldn't live?! I had to calm down. No sense in making things worse when they hadn't even ruled anything yet.

I took several deep breaths, blinking against the pain in my head, while I let my arms relax. The guards were on the ground with me, literally holding me down as tightly as they could. I felt the pain ease off but it would be a while before that healed.

Especially without Chloe's blood to help.

"Okay." I said after a moment.

Everyone was quiet, waiting to see how I would react.

"You can let me up now. Just a knee jerk reaction. My bad. Won't happen again. I apologize."

The guards didn't move so I lifted my head to look up at the Council members.

Finally, Hillmond spoke.

"Let him up...but stay close. Take him out if he tries anything."

Really bro? It's like that. The guards let me go, the giant bastards, and I sat up gingerly, putting my hand to the back of my head.

It was sticky with blood, like I knew it would be. Great. I looked up at the guards who were already towering over me, and held my hand up.

"Wanna help a brother out?" I asked, grinning at them.

Their faces didn't move, keeping the same stoic expression. I shrugged.

"Okay then." I jumped to my feet, crouching before standing straight.

Oh shit, I was a little dizzy and swayed on my feet before I caught myself.

"Mr. Brock, you understand that was an act of violence against your Council, punishable by death?" The vamp that had said my actions with witches was unacceptable spoke.

I raised my eyebrows.

"I didn't make a move towards any of you. I simply growled at the idea of my One dying. It was an emotional reaction, but I did not move to attack any of you."

"How can we know that?" Hillmond started, that stupid little smirk on his face.

I leaned back on one leg, hoping that I could stay upright.

I was still pretty dizzy and my head was throbbing.

"You were watching me. You know that I didn't. All of you. If you were watching me the way you were supposed to be, you would know. So who's fault is this really? Is it my fault if you guys aren't doing your job correctly?"

Damn it, there was that smart mouth that both Chloe and Sam had told me to keep in check. Got me a few glares from the Council members.

"It is within our rights to restrain you, should we feel as if you are a threat. We felt threatened at that time. Can we continue Mr. Brock? Would that be okay with you?" Hillmond was being snarky right back.

Okay, I could do this. I could be a nice guy even to this prick. I had to be.

I nodded, and lowered my head, showing that he had the power. That actually fucking almost killed me. I hated him.

I kept my mouth shut while they went over every little detail that they knew, asking me if things were true or untrue. I admitted to everything. If they asked me, they obviously knew.

I didn't offer any extra information however.

When asked about Aza and his involvement, I admitted that he did have the poison that Jade had told them about.

"My clan has been testing it but still hasn't figured out what it is that takes us down."

"We would like a sample of it to run our own tests on it. Understood?" I nodded at the nice lady vamp that I had first spoken to. Couldn't remember her name.

"Yes ma'am. I'll get it to you straight away. As soon as you let me go, I'll go straight there and bring it back."

She smiled at me sadly. Ah fuck.

I wasn't leaving.

"We shall allow you to contact your next in line to have him or her bring it in for us."

I clenched my jaw and nodded again. "So what now?" I asked.

"You will be detained, here in our chambers until we decide the best course of action to take." Hillmond responded, cutting the lady vamp off. "But I have one more question...about your One." I didn't like the look in his eyes when he said that.

Clenching my jaw, I responded through gritted teeth.

"What?"

He smirked at me, knowing that he was pushing my buttons. "There is tell that she, herself, is a witch. Is this true?"

My heart dropped to my feet.

How did they know? Jade didn't know. No one knew.

Aza didn't even know. The only ones who knew were the members of the house, and the witches. This couldn't be happening.

What do I do?

Do I tell the truth?

Do I lie through my teeth and hope they don't try to get inside my head? A million different scenarios flew through my brain all in the span of a few seconds.