64

"You're a strong, smart mouth woman who can handle whatever the world throws at her. You can handle this too."

I kept my eyes locked on Colby's trying to calm myself...but it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Flashes of him dead, lying somewhere dank and musty in the dark, and alone, kept filling my head.

Would this be the last moments we spent together? He was wrong. I couldn't handle this.

They say that the vampire goes crazy if their One dies. I believe the human does too because I was already thinking of ways to join him in the afterlife. There would be no reason for my existence in this world without him in it.

"Chloe." Same demanding tone. "I promised you that I would find my way back to you. Didn't I?"

It was like we were the only two people in the room, everything and everyone around us had disappeared and didn't matter in that moment. I nodded, one short jerk of my head.

"You can't beat the Council Colby. Please just...let's just run away. Please!" I sobbed out.

He wrapped his arms around me, one around my waist pulling me to him, so that my head was on his chest, his other hand clasping the back of my head and stroking my hair.

"You know I can't do that baby. This is my clan. My family. They will get the brunt of the punishment if I leave. That's how it works. Plus, Jade is still trapped there. She's an innocent. I have to do what I can to have her freed."

I squeezed my eyes shut, letting my tears soak his shirt. He was right. Fucker.

I knew that. This right here was part of the reason that I loved him so damn much. He thought he was a monster when in reality, he was the sweetest soul that I had ever met.

"I'm going with you." Sam said, standing up next to him.

I stepped back to see Sam's eyes burning into Colby's, while he shook his head.

"No brother. You have to be here. You're next in command. You're in charge while I'm gone." He clasped his hand onto Sam's shoulder. "I won't be gone long. I promise you that."

They stared at each other for a moment, then hugged tightly.

"Be careful Colby, and keep your damn smart mouth shut." Sam grunted out, releasing him.

Colby cracked a grin.

"Yeah right, like that's gonna happen."

Sam didn't smile back, just glared at him.

Colby ran his hand through his hair.

"Jesus, Okay, I was kidding. Lighten up a little."

Sam closed his eyes briefly and shook his head, before running his own hand through this blonde locks and letting out a breath. "You got this. The clan will be waiting for you when you get back. I'll take care of Chloe, protect her with my life. You have my word."

Colby nodded, swallowing hard as he looked back at his best friend, his brother. "Okay, enough of this. I have to leave soon and I don't want to face them with my sad thoughts running through my head." He looked back at me. "I got this. I'll be back home with you before you know it. I know how to handle these dickheads. I can talk my way out of anything, didn't you know?" He cracked a grin at me, and I couldn't help but return it with a small one of my own.

"Yeah Mr. Smooth Talker, I know. Just do what Sam said and watch your mouth. I love you. I don't need them taking your head off just for being you."

He chuckled a little, and hugged me tightly to him. "I'll behave. And I love you too Chloe. More than you could possibly ever know."

I leaned back and tapped my necklace. "But I do know Colby. Remember?"

"Huh." He said smiling even bigger, his cheeks pushing up, dimples popping out.

His eyes crinkled at the sides, while the happiness danced within the blue.

"Guess you do know. Then you know that I'll do whatever I have to do to get back to you, to where I belong...but I have to go now. Elias and I have to meet up, and make sure that we know what we're going to say before we get there."

My heart dropped at his words...but I was determined not to be a squalling mess when he left. If he wanted to believe that I was strong enough to deal with this, then I would let him think that. I would be strong enough for him...for now.

He kissed my forehead, then pulled back staring into my eyes again. I was scared to speak, scared that nothing but sobs would come out so I kept my lips tightly closed. He leaned in slowly, pressing his soft lips to mine, sweetly, slowly, pushing against my lips with his tongue.

I opened and let him deepen the kiss, telling me everything that he wanted to say with the use of his lips and tongue. The softness turned rough, intense, like this kiss was our lifeline, the only thing holding us together, and we were fighting for it, with nothing but tongue, teeth, and lips. His emotions were pouring into me, creeping past the magic of the necklace with how strong they were.

Our love swirled together inside of me, making my heart feel like it was going to explode out of my chest. I hadn't known that anyone could feel this way about me. It was like he needed me to live, needed me to function.

An obsession that he couldn't stop. I knew the feeling well.

"Eh hem." Someone cleared their throat.

It was Sam. I know it was Sam.

"Eh heeem!" Again, we ignored it, holding onto one another as tight as could. "Okay you guys, Colby you have to leave! You can't be late for this."

I broke away first, gasping for air from the overload of emotions and just how amazing that kiss had been. His gaze stayed on mine, never looking away, burning with the same ferocity as they had the night we played mini golf.

"I have to go." He said, taking my hand in his and bringing it to his lips, pressing a light kiss on my knuckles.