71

Colby was gone. I just stood there, frozen and unsure what to do. Everyone was just staring at me, as I stood in the middle of the garage, waiting for someone to tell me what I was supposed to do.

How was I supposed to deal with the fact that he was gone and might not be coming back? I had a really bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like I was going to be sick, only my stomach was filled with lead.

Heavy and stuck, but wanting to make me retch until it was all gone. I swallowed against the acidic taste in my mouth, the feeling scraping against my throat. I took a deep shaky breath, and brought my hands up to smooth my hair.

Before they made it that far, I stopped them in front of my face. My hands were shaking.

Why were my hands shaking so badly? It was like I was on one of those machines that vibrated your entire body, only it was just my hands. I shook them out in front of me, creasing my eyebrows in confusion.

I had to stop my hands from shaking. That was priority right now. I stretched my fingers and shook them out again.

Still shaking. Possibly even worse than before.

"Chloe." I heard Sam's soft voice and I lifted my eyes to meet his sympathetic blue gaze.

Why was he looking at me like that?

"Are you okay?"

I tilted my head at him. "Yeah...just trying to make my hands stop shaking. I don't know why they're shaking. They won't stop though. I need them to stop Sam. Why won't they stop?"

My whole body was shaking now. I remember this feeling. I had felt like this after Millie had attacked me at the Nordstrom.

Shock. I was going into shock.

My body was trembling uncontrollably, and getting weak.

"I think I-"

Just as I thought, my legs gave out.

I didn't hit the ground, instead I felt arms catch me behind my thighs and going behind my back lifting me up.

"Sam." I said, looking up into his blue eyes.

Blue eyes that reminded me so much of Colby's. Colby. Colby was gone.

"Colby's not coming back." I sobbed, laying into Sam's chest, soaking his shirt with my tears.

"Chloe, Colby won't let anything keep him from you. He'll be back."

I shook my head, noticing that he was taking me upstairs. "NO!" I yelled, struggling to be let down. "Take me back. Take me back! We have to figure out how to get him home. You have to talk to the Council. See what's going on!"

He held me tight, not letting me down, but he did turn around and head back down the stairs. "I can't do that yet Chloe. He just left. Give it some time. You're freaking out before we even know what's going on. I'm sure he'll be back soon or..." He trailed off, and I watched him clench his jaw, stopping himself from whatever he was about to say.

"What? Or what Sam?" I demanded.

He looked down at me, meeting my gaze.

"Or the Council will contact me and let me know what is happening."

I shook my head again, vehemently. "NO SAM! We can't wait that long. They could hurt him, or," I gulped. "They could kill him and I'll never see him again. Sam, please please, find out something. PLEASE!"

We had made it back to the garage by then, everyone looking at me having a legit breakdown.

Kat stood up and walked over to us as Sam set me down on my feet.

"Are you okay to stand now?"

I nodded shakily. I was. I think.

He let me go and I reached out my arm to Kat, holding onto her, just in case.

"Sam, I'm begging you." I said, staring up into his eyes. "You have to find out something. PLEASE. I can't take not knowing. I know that he just left but things work faster with you guys."

He sighed and looked to the ceiling for a second, before looking back at me. "Okay. I'll see what I can find out. But I'm going outside to do it. You stay in here."

I nodded.

He looked at Katrina.

"Make sure she's okay."

She gave him a small smile. "I always do."

He kissed her then walked out. Kat led me to Colby's bean bag and I sat down, unable to resist burying my face in it. I smelled him.

It was like having my feet knocked out from under me all over again, and I started sobbing.

"Chloe, you have to calm down babe. Colby will be okay. He's smart. He'll do whatever he needs to do to get out of this situation." I heard Corey speaking to me in a gentle voice and looked up to meet his chocolate brown eyes.

"Why aren't you with Dev?" I asked, having totally forgotten about that.

"She isn't awake yet and I heard what was happening. Just thought I could maybe help."

I gave him a shaky smile. "Thank you but you should be with her. When she wakes up, she'll probably be scared and want to see your face first. There are plenty of people down here to keep me from going crazy."

He cracked a grin at me. "Okay but if you need me, just call my name." He was gone, leaving me with everyone else still staring at me like they didn't know what to do.

It was kind of starting to piss me off, even as upset as I was.

"Didn't your parents ever teach you that it isn't nice to stare?" I asked sarcastically, trying to keep my voice from cracking.

"We're just worried about you babe." Tara replied softly.

"And Colby. Because he has a smart mouth and-"

"Shut. UP." Tara cut Elton off quickly, but I already knew that.

That's part of the reason why I was so scared. Colby was too reckless, too much of a smart ass. I didn't understand how he was always reporting to the Council anyways, with how much he hated for someone to tell him what to do.

Well, I guess he really hadn't been lately. I heard the door bang against the wall and wind flying by made my hair blow around my face.

"Colby's in trouble." Elias stood in front of me, Jade in his arms.