All-Star Apologies: Part 9

Chihiro and Mondo decided to do their old exercise routine that night, and since it had been a short while since they'd last worked out together, Chihiro could barely move when he woke up that morning. Nevertheless, when the morning announcement rang out, he forced himself to climb out of bed, get dressed, and head to the cafeteria so that he wasn't late.

However, whether this was a good thing or not, it seemed Chihiro didn't need to fear being late for the morning meeting. After all, as soon as he stepped into the room, on time might I add, he was surprised to find that the dining hall was completely empty. Chihiro was expecting something like this, and it made him feel sick. Mukuro being exposed probably meant that she wouldn't risk associating herself with the rest of the group anymore, and thus likely wouldn't turn up to the morning meetings. Not only that, but it was highly unlikely that Byakuya, Taeko and Makoto would show up now of all times, even if being around other people would be the safer option. However, neither Kyoko, nor Mondo and not even Taka were present either. The reasons for which Chihiro didn't know, but he was understandably worried.

It was hard to show any sort of optimism in trying times such as this, but he did what he could. In the silence of the cafeteria, he went into the kitchen to make himself breakfast and came and sat back down, patiently waiting for anyone else to show up. However, an hour or so went by before anyone else bothered to show up. And the first person to actually appear wasn't someone that Chihiro expected.

"Ah..." Mukuro Ikusaba appeared from the doorway to the cafeteria "you're still here..."

"I've been here since the morning announcement...No one else has showed up yet," Chihiro said "what are you doing here? Are you here for the morning meeting?"

"Is that a joke?" Mukuro asked slyly "I'm not laughing."

With no other words, she went into the kitchen, reemerged a few seconds later with a plate of food, and began to head out.

"J-Just wait a second!" Chihiro suddenly got to his feet "you can't just walk out of here!"

"I'm not required to eat breakfast in the cafeteria," Mukuro said "goodbye."

It felt so abnormal. There was literally no other word that could possibly be used to describe it. Mukuro was so blank faced, and seemed so unfeeling, as if she was a more anti-extreme version of Kyoko. When she was disguised as Junko, she was so remarkably different. She was spunky, loud, was never afraid to speak her mind, and had a bit of a foul mouth to boot. Could a person like this really pull off an imitation like that so easily?

"Mukuro, wait!" Chihiro said "don't leave! We're not done here!"

"Let me guess," she actually turned back "you want to ridicule me?" 

"What? No! I just want to talk!" Chihiro assured her.

"Oh yeah, I'm sure about that..." she said sarcastically "I'm not so blind as to not see just how you were looking at me. It doesn't matter if you want to trust me or not. You just can't. Am I wrong?"

This girl's a lot more perceptive than I thought... Chihiro thought to himself.

"I mean...the fact that you were a spy does put me off a bit," Chihiro said "well...no, it puts me off by quite a lot...But all the other stuff about being a terrorist...I'm still deciding..."

"Deciding what?" Mukuro asked.

"Whether or not it makes a difference to me," Chihiro explained "I've read some war stories and seen some terrorist attacks in the news. From what I can gather, in those, most of the time, the people who actually commit those heinous acts don't do so willingly. That's what really matters."