All-Star Apologies: Part 29 [END]

The stunned silence that followed the execution was too much to bear. While the procedure of the swords and the barrel weren't nearly as intense, as the previous executions, this one was by far the one that hit the hardest.

Makoto was gone.

Within a matter of seconds, he was with everyone...It seemed like only yesterday that he'd been laughing and smiling with everyone else...

And now he never would again...

"I...I think I need a paper bag...!" Taka gagged as tears fell from his eyes.

"I-I think I'm gonna be sick myself...!" Mondo groaned "th-this can't be real...Someone pinch me already...! OW!"

The yelp of pain that followed his sentence came from Kyoko taking his words literally and giving him a pinch on the arm.

"Sorry..." she said calmly "I did it on instinct..." Mondo paused for a second before he shook his head and said.

"Nah. Don't worry about it..." he said "thanks Kyoko...I needed that..."

"M-Makoto..." Chihiro trembled "why...why did even you have to...?"

"Chin up ya'll...!" Monokuma smiled "you just survived your fourth class trial!"

"And we're not doing another one!" Byakuya snapped "count on that!"

"Puhuhu! We'll see. Oh, we'll sure see soon enough," Monokuma smirked "when you're done brooding, feel free to step back on the elevator and head up. You know how it works!"

"Wait!" Chihiro stopped him "just...one more thing."

"What is it now?" Monokuma growled.

"That piece of paper that Makoto received from the boxes," Chihiro asked "is it true? Does one of the students of class have something to do with this situation?"

"Maybe? Or maybe not?" Monokuma tilted his head "why don't you ask Mukuro? Oh, wait! You can't! PAHAHAHA!"

Mukuro didn't speak, but glared at the bear with a look that just said I swear I will kill you.

Monokuma didn't stay for any longer. Clearly he'd had enough of the students determined speeches, and didn't want to lay eyes on them for longer than he had to, so he vanished. Clearly, the effect of Makoto's death not being what he expected was acting as a real thorn in his side. Even after the Ultimate Lucky Student was gone, his parting words still lingered within everyone's minds.

"Every human life is precious, irreplaceable and important,. It's not something that should be given up so easily. Everyone carries their own burden, but those burdens are only temporary. So promise me that all of you will live. All of you. Succeed where I, Sayaka, and the others have failed."

To succeed where he and the others had failed.

This time, they were going to keep their promise. And they meant it this time.

After all, the revolution had only just begun.

"This whole situation is so full o' shit...!" Mondo growled "I just want it to end already...!"

"It's terrible...it truly is..." Taka gulped, trying to hold back his tears and possible vomit "but even to the end, the only thing that we can do...is our very best."

"You're right..." Mukuro was acting a bit more social now that the trial was over "after all, if we don't uphold our end of the promise...Makoto might crawl out of that barrel and be very mad at us..."

"Did...did you just make a joke?" Taka raised a curious comforted eyebrow. Mukuro turned her face away in slight embarrassment.

"We can't just stand here..." Chihiro said, raising his voice so the group could hear him "we've been stuck in these halls for far too long. Our games, our ways of escaping, even our plans to cooperate. It's all been a game to Monokuma, and it's practically been a game for us too...! Well not anymore...! This killing game ends! Now!"