All-Star Apologies: Part 12

"So allow me to get this straight," Taeko said after she was approached by Taka and Mondo "even after all that I have done to shoot morale in the group, and after what I did that caused that whole previous catastrophe...you still wish to form an alliance with me?"

"That it is the case, yes. If you dumb it down that is," Taka explained "well? What do you say?"

"Hm...honestly, the offer is tempting...I am acutely aware that being cut off and remaining by myself would be disadvantageous to me. So if I have been invited back into the group, then I suppose I should accept," Taeko contemplated aloud "however, even after all that occurred, I don't particularly feel sorry for my actions...And even though the offer of the money is no longer on the table, I still have my dream for my castle...With that in mind, would you still be willing to accept me into your group?"

"No one said anythin' about acceptin' you," Mondo told her firmly "to be honest, we're all probably gonna hate you still...I know I do...but now ain't the time to be lettin' the past stop us from finding a way to get out alive."

"Chihiro thinks he may have found some clues as to the truth about the academy," Taka explained "but he won't show us until everyone is there."

"Then he is either incredibly kind, or incredibly stupid," Taeko sneered "how do you know I won't try and betray you again?"

Taka and Mondo were silent for a moment, but then Taka responded...

"We don't," he said "but to be honest...I already know that you won't be able to get away with a murder plan if you try to commit another one...You'll be found out almost instantly..."

"Why is that?" Taeko leered "is it because people would already be doubting me?"

"No," Taka said "it's because you're sloppy..."

"Excuse you?" Taeko actually seemed to take offence to this "sloppy how? If it weren't for that fat tub of lard Hifumi screwing up, my plan would have been perfect."

"You're right..." Taka said back, keeping calm throughout the whole ordeal, even if Taeko was getting agitated "it was thanks to Hifumi  not being cautious that your plan ended up failing...but remind me again who it was that roped him into it in the first place? You didn't have to make Hifumi do your dirty work, and if anything, there's something that you should have taken away from it."

"And what's that?" Taeko asked "are you really lecturing me on how to make the perfect murder plan?"

"I'm lecturing you on how to be a decent human being," Taka growled "and believe me, I know it's hard for someone like you..."

"Ouch...!" Mondo whistled.

"You little...!" Taeko growled through grit teeth.

"I cannot deny that you are a talented and intelligent individual Taeko, even if you frustrate me so," Taka continued, not breaking face "but the reason for my frustration can be stemmed from one thing: Your lack of effort."

"Effort!?" Taeko snapped "you still plague me with this slander about effort!? Every "effort" you've made to put this killing game to a close has failed miserably so far!"

"I cannot deny that, but in the very least, I'm trying," Taka stuck out an arm to hold Mondo back "as I mentioned, you have talent, but it seems to me that you're not as clear cut about your goals and motivations. You truly want to live in a castle along with your vampire butlers?"

"And if I do?" Taeko asked.

"Then you should achieve that dream through your own effort. Your own merit. You should do that instead of forcing others to die for you. You may think you're a genius, but what kind of genius can truly be a genius when they get their title by trampling all over others?"