(Chapter 5) Pain of a Junk Food Junkie: Part 1

It happened again that night. When Chihiro awoke from his slumber, he found himself in the same dark room. The shadows of his deceased classmates gathered around him in a circle as he sat with his body tightened up on the floor.

"So you think this is it, do you?" Leon tilted his head "what a joke..."

"How many times have you sworn to people that you wouldn't let another murder happen? 5? 6?" Sayaka asked.

"I-I-It f-feels like 5 hundred!" Toko stammered "y-you're never true to your word!"

"I asked you to make me a promise," Hina growled "and has that promise been fulfilled?"

"I don't think it has," Sakura frowned "you tried to get close to me to protect me, but all that did was make your despair ever the more heavy."

"Mr Fujisaki has always been weak willed..." Hifumi sighed "we shouldn't have expected anything from him."

"Fuji-bean..." Hiro shook his head "this killing game is still going because you're failing to stop it."

"I'm disappointed," Taeko, a new addition to the group said "you can curse me all you want for what I've done...but it was because of your own inability to stop it that so many have died...You're weak..."

Chihiro sat there bundled up, and began to cry in his arms. When he did, that's when he heard another voice.

"Get up..."

Already recognizing the voice and trembling in fear at what he was going to see, Chihiro peeked upwards and saw the final shadow...Makoto, with his face blanked out, just like the rest.

"Get up Chihiro..."

Chihiro stayed where he was...the shadow was taunting him, it must be...Very soon it would make fun of him...Call him weak...and pathetic...and boy how right it was...

At least...that's what Chihiro thought.

"Get up Chihiro. Don't let this despair have it's way!"

H-Huh...?

Chihiro peered up to take another look at the shadow of Makoto. Unlike the others, it had a smile on it's face that wasn't mocking Chihiro.  

"Get up! Don't let them win! Fight back! Get mad!"

Stirred by the words of the shadow, Chihiro managed to get to his feet.

"Eh? He's standing? What's he gonna do?"

"Nothing probably, I mean, he's been unable to do anything so far?"

"Right? We'd all still be alive if he had?"

"You should always have the answers! How come you only get them when it comes to sentencing people off to their deaths?"

"E-Everything is your fault! It's all YOUR FAULT!"

"You're wrong..." Chihiro clenched his fist, facing the collection of shadows.

"ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG!"

The defiant shout from the titular programmer actually seemed to terrify the shadow incarnations of the dead. This wasn't a spur of the moment outburst either, as Chihiro continued!

"For those of you who were killed, you have no right to blame your deaths' on me! I didn't kill any of you, in any way, shape or form!"

He pointed an opposing finger towards Leon, Toko, Hifumi, Sakura and Taeko.

"And those who were executed...The fate you met was cruel, but you brought it on yourselves! It's not my fault that you guys gave into the Mastermind and decided to kill your friends! In a way, you deserved what you got!"