Welcome to Despair: Part 5

After being let go by Junko, Chihiro noticed, out of the corner of her eye, the gothic lolita girl had glanced in her direction. Before she knew what was going on, she'd caught herself staring at her. The girl's red eyes in turn, fell upon the tiny programmer.

"Are you going to say anything, or just stand there like a dear in headlights?" she said. She spoke with a thick french accent. Chihiro snapped back to reality at her words, and bowed apologetically.

"I'm sorry," Chihiro said "it's just...you look so different compared to everyone else here...I don't mean that in a bad way, of course..."

"Hehe...I should hope not. You yourself have a strange présence étrange about you..." she smirked "I do not believe we have been introduced. I am Celestia Ludenburg. Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"Um

"Um...I'm sorry, Celestia Luden-what-now?" Chihiro asked, taken aback by the girls abnormal name.

"Celestia Ludenburg," she repeated "do not worry. There are many people who cannot grasp even the pronunciation, so it would be fine if you could call me Celeste..."

"And...what's your real name?" Chihiro asked "I have a hard time believing that your name is actually "Celestia Ludenburg..." It doesn't sound like a Japanese name to me..."

"And what's the problem?" Celeste asked "my name is Celestia Ludenburg. It is a name derived from my German ancestory..." Chihiro could recognise the threatening undertone of her voice, telling her to proceed at her own risk. She decided not to take that risk. "If the passing conversations are to be believed..." Celeste continued "you are the Ultimate Programmer, are you not?"

"I am. I write computer programs, but I'm not really good for much else..." Chihiro smiled awkwardly "what about you?"

"Well, that's quite simple," Celeste said "I was recognized by the academy due to my title from the underground. That being the "Queen of Liars." But I assure you, despite how much of me is surrounded by a veil of mistruth, I promise I am more trustworthy than I appear..."

"Forgive me for saying this, but you speak like a genuine con artist..." Chihiro pointed out "and what do you mean by the underground?"

"I refer to underground gambling tournaments..." Celeste said bluntly, which Chihiro was staggered back by.

"G-Gambling? Isn't that illegal!?"

"If it is, then why did Hope's Peak, a school where they turn your skills into a profession, invite me to join them as the Ultimate Gambler?" Celeste answered Chihiro's question with another question "you should know that I've never once lost a bet. "Defeat and loss" are two words that aren't in my dictionary. Maybe you'd like to gamble your life savings against me once? With mine against yours?"

"N-No thank you..." Chihiro stammered "I've never gambled, and I don't intend to..."

"Such a shame..." Celeste sighed as she fiddled with her ridiculously large twin drills "in that case, I look forward to getting to know you better..." As Celeste turned, Chihiro watched her back from afar. It didn't take a genius programmer to figure out the level of deceit behind her smile. She was definitely a tricky one to read. It would be wise to be cautious around someone like her...