Ultimate Despair: Part 11 [Deadly Life]

This was hardly the first time she'd done it, absolutely, but Mukuro was now secretly cursing herself and the stupid self-destructing belt mechanism the Mastermind had attached to her more than ever before. This was an investigation to figure out the secrets of the academy, and the identity of the Mastermind who had betrayed her, both of which she knew, but could not tell anyone. Then again, she supposed that was the whole point of employing such a method, but it was hardly fair on everyone else who would inevitably go down with her if she tattled.

It was because of this that Mukuro was complimentary of Chihiro for pinning the main investigation of Byakuya onto her. After all, if Chihiro was right and the Mastermind was the killer, then she knew who the killer was. However, Monokuma wasn't just looking for who the killer was, but also how they did it. To be honest, Mukuro was baffled by that as well. Even though she knew better, even more now than before, and that neither Chihiro nor Kyoko were the killer, the problem still remained that it couldn't be anybody else. Taka and Mondo were with her the entire time, and Byakuya obviously didn't kill himself. 

That aside, she was still a little bit frustrated that she had been sent to investigate the coldest room in the whole school. Ideally, it wouldn't have been much of a problem. Mukuro had ran point in Iceland during a civil war that Fenrir started up, so she could handle the cold, and that, coupled in with the fact that she was homeless for a lot of her life, meant that she really couldn't complain. That didn't stop if from bothering her though.

The real bother was that it was subsequently more difficult in the investigation because the Mastermind had subsequently discarded Byakuya's body. In a way, this implied that nothing was to be gained from investigating the body again, but it still being there would have made the investigation all the more easy. However, Monokuma clearly didn't intend on making this final trial easy. Mukuro half expected him to pull every dirty trick he had in his book if it meant he could win. Clearly, if the previous trial was anything to go by, he wasn't above it.

Mukuro's eyes first darted towards the large machinery that was lining the wall. If Chihiro's theory about Byakuya's death was to be believed, then his real cause of death was having his head smashed against this machinery. Mukuro already knew what this machinery was, and anyone could really make the assumption as to what it was simply by looking at it. It was the type of machine that you'd find in a horror movie, or crime drama, one that you'd typically find in a morgue. A refrigerated containment unit for storing dead bodies. 

Taking a step back, Mukuro was able to observe the entire unit. The devices and doors of each container lined the wall, and each door had two lights next to them. A blue light, and a red light. Some of the containment units on the left hand side of the containment unit had the blue light lit up, but they were the only ones. The ones on the right side weren't lit at all.

On the table in the center of the room, Mukuro spied a small piece of paper, and she swiftly scooped it up and read it. It was a pamphlet, or more accurately, an instruction manual. She casually read it aloud to herself.

"Our morgue refrigerators are environmentally friendly alternative to dry ice when it comes to storing bodies. Each refrigerator is equipped with a germicidal lamp, an ozone emitter, and ethylene filtration system. The blue light on the side panel will turn on when a body has been placed inside the refrigerator. Neither light will turn on if the refrigerator is not in use. The refrigerators are also equipped with an emergency shutdown mechanism that will activate if the device is either faulty, or in the rare occurrence that the body placed inside the container is still alive. This is shown when the red light underneath the blue light is illuminated, and in certain situations, such as when a living person struggles inside, an alarm will sound. The refrigerator will begin operations automatically. Optimal temperature and humidity settings are automatically determined, allowing anyone to preserve a body with relative ease. Additionally, the exterior is stainless steel, but an optional leather sheet cover is provided if necessary."